Satay @ Medan Sate, Medan Ria, Petaling Jaya

 




It has been a while since I have been here and this revisit has been a pleasant one. 

I was doing shopping on the weekend, as I needed to get a new computer. The TOG office needs an upgrade people! So after wandering around in the Digital Mall in PJ, it was time for lunch. And it was then when the nostalgia bug hit me. 

A humble food court. 



Law school was not too far from here and it was the Medan Ria food court where me and a few other classmates would chow down after a revision session. And one of the treats we would indulge ourselves would be satay. Nothing beats a good barbecue meal after some brain juice frying through out the day. Those fun moments were at least 5 years ago. And since I had not been here for so long, I was in a "why not" moment. It was nice to see most of the shops are still up and running. I was worried that they may need to close forever due to the current situation. Other than having some "X"s around, nothing much has changed. 



What a beauty!



And after surveying the space, it was time for some satay. Do note that there are a few satay stalls here. The one I chose is the one I used to go all the time, the aptly named "Medan Sate". I ordered my usual many many moons ago, which was a set of 5 chicken and 5 beef skewers along with a ketupat pack. 


Glorious. 



What came before me was a shot into the nostalgia. The meat was charred perfectly and both chicken and beef were well seasoned, and the aromas were just like how I remembered years back. Hints of the usual spices are there, with a combination of spicy, salty and sweet. The smoky flavour from the grilling gave it a charred aftertaste and the sauce was killer. I personally prefer the beef though as it has more bite and the texture of beef absorbs the marinade much better. The chicken was more tender though and just goes down so easily. Both are still good in any event. So, choose your own adventure. 


Liquid gold? Not quite but very close. 


The sauce was a very simple mix of chillies, spices and nuts. Yet it was really awesome. Dunking it with some rice packets for the carb side of the meal and what you get was a satisfying lunch. I mean, why waste good sauce? The best part of it all is that this entire plate of food was just only RM10! What an absolute bargain! This was fabulous indeed. Also, the Malay uncle that runs the stall was quite friendly too.


Another angle of the food court. 



The only thing missing was my usual group of library squatters that accompanied me on my food sojourns here. It was a long time back and those were moments that I remember fondly. Still, it was a good lunch and I would probably revisit if I am in the area. Why not give it a go? The address is as follows:


Jalan 14/24, Seksyen 14, 46100 Petaling Jaya, Selangor


Such a humble stall, but do not let that fool you. 


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings