Bak Kut Teh @ Restoran Ah Ping, SS14, Subang Jaya.


 


From one claypot joint to another, here is another noteworthy establishment with roots in the local community for decades for you to savour. Ah Ping has been around for a decades and been one of the main BKT pillars in the SS14 bak kut teh street. Not as notorious as the boba street in SS15, but much better if you ask me. And unlike the boba street, most of the shops, if not all, have survived from being shut down due to a global pandemic. Shots fired? But I digress. 

A peek inside



I usually go to Chao Zhou for BKT within my area (click here to know more) and is my usual go to BKT spot if I want to get a quick fix to meaty cravings. So I welcomed the opportunity after a good friend of mine suggested Ah Ping instead. And it was a good recommendation. Being here for so long,  you know Ah Ping got their game sorted well. And being a BKT outlet, getting some porky soup was a no brainer. We ordered a portion of the classic soupy one and also a dry version. We had a serving of blanched lettuce on the side and a portion of crullers to go with our rice. For the uninitiated,  crullers is "yiu char kuey". Boy that hit the spot. 


Look ma, veggies!



Being a rainy Wednesday evening, this was the warm hug that I needed after fighting through the traffic and downpour. The soup was simple yet fantastic, with hints of cinnamon and star anise and a whole walloping of garlic. And if you like organ meat, this is a real treat as you can find intestines and tripe in this claypot. The enoki mushrooms and beancurd sticks gave some extra touches in terms of texture and was a classic way in rounding off this dish. 

Like a warm hug. 



Not to be outdone, was the dry version. It was more to a braised pork dish, but still extremely enjoyable. The lacquer-like sauce made for an interesting eating experience and it latches on to the cruller pieces like wet cement on a tyre. It does not come off easy. The flavours are a bit more intense than the soupy classic. So having this with some rice was a better option. With regards to the lettuce, well its blanched lettuce. Nothing much to shout about. At least I can tell my mom that I ate veggies. 

Glossy!



It was a simple and yet enjoyable meal and quite affordable too. Our meal of 2 claypots of BKT, lettuce, rice and crullers with tea on the side was RM44. This place reinforces my stand that you can get great BKT outside of Klang and if you have been following the blog, you can see why. 

Great seeing you again bro!



It was a good evening chatting with Joseph too as we have not been seeing each other for some time and he is one of my close friends from my old lawyering days. Still, whether you are here with some company or alone, I bet Ah Ping will serve you a good dinner that will leave you happy. Fancy a go? Then the address is as follows:


42, Jalan SS14/2, Subang Jaya, Selangor

Front of the house. 




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings