Seafood Noodles @ Mr Fish, Da Men Mall, USJ 1

 




Once again, the search for the perfect bowl continues. Although I do notice that I have not actually dabbled a lot into the seafood variant. Well, all is about the change with this. Lets get to the point, Mr Fish is really good. How good? Lets say I come here almost every week type of good. 


A peek inside. 



Located in a local mall near my house, I was not impressed during my first visit of the place when it just opened as it was a bit disorganised and waiting time was a bit too long. But once they got their act together, I find this to be my default eating spot for most occurrences. Which is good, as their seafood noodles are really stellar. Being called Mr Fish, it is quite obvious that their main highlight is fish. You are given a wide variety of fish based toppings, like home made fish cake, fried halibut and fried salmon pieces among other things. You can opt for prawns too if you like. You then pick the soup of your choice. There are a variety of soups for your toppings to bathe in: the clear soup, milky creamy soup, tom yam and lastly laksa. Then comes your choice of carbs: thin rice noodles, thick rice noodles, yee mee or even plain steamed rice. The choice is yours. 


They are quite generous with their toppings. 



If this is your first time, then the simple fish cake and thick rice noodles will be the best bet. Simple and hearty, this will fill you up just fine. The soup has that seafood-like sweetness and is not too rich, as its a clear broth.  But I think this is the best way forward for starters and is what most people order, from my own observation. And it is my mom's go to as well. 


This is stellar.


The fish cake, which they called fish paste, is really awesome. Its bouncy, has a lot of flavour and such fun to eat. And with one bite, you will know this is some home made creation and not something from a packet. Its fresh and does not have that artificial rubbery texture you get from store bought fish balls.


Decadence! 



My favourite however, is the milky one with fried halibut pieces and fish maw. Yeap, it is as decadent as it sounds. The creamy soup worked really well with the fried fish and maw. Well, dairy generally works well with fish right? But unlike the clear soup, there are additional ingredients, like pickled veggies and tomatoes that ramp up the umami compounds over here. 


Flavour flood in 3...2...1..



And the thicker texture of the soup latches onto the the noodles and the toppings like hot tar on the highway. Especially the fish maw, where pockets of soup just gets trapped inside. It just would not let go! This is my go to item and I strongly recommend this bowl of simple luxury. 



Hot!



If you want something more spicy, the tom yam one is also worth noting. Of course, you cannot compare this to a proper Thai style joint, but it is good enough. I had halibut pieces and fish paste with this. And for this bowl I had thin rice noodles. Bihun, if you are so inclined. It was quite spicy, and if you are a bit sensitive to heat, you may want to avoid it. It is still good though, with the classic zesty and tangy afternotes after each slurp. I have yet tried the laksa broth but by the looks of nearby tables, it looks like a wonderful flavour bomb that would explode any time!


A slightly more crowded evening from another visit. 



When ever it is rainy or if I had a bad day at work and need a pick me up, chances are I would come to this simple establishment for some good grub. Its a bit on the pricey side, where bowls can range from RM14-RM18 depending on soup and topping types. As a base, the milky one with halibut and fish maw was for RM16.50. However, the quality justifies the price. 


Their mascot is quite cute too. Fish with a top hat?
Why didn't I think of that?



Everything feels home made and they have this unique menu of noodles you cannot get in most places. And unlike my first visit, this is now a well oiled machine, which is good. The last thing you want is for service to ruin the food that is presented. Well, enough babbling. This deserves a visit from you dear reader. And if you are keen in trying some good fish based noodles, then the address is as follows:


LG-24, 1, Damen Mall, Persiaran Kewajipan, USJ 1, 47600 Subang Jaya, Selangor



Front of the house. 



Comments

Weekly Top Rankings