Ramen @Kin Ryu Ramen, Midosuji, Namba, Osaka




If you are a follower of the blog, I think you all know by now that I am a big fan of noodles. As such, it was a no brainer for me to make that visit to a cultural institution of Osaka, Kin Ryu Ramen. Literally translated as "golden dragon", there is nothing golden about it. Rather, it was just honest, simple, and satisfying bowls served to customers.

Choices? What choices?



Unlike most ramen places that have at least come variations to their trademark soup or side dishes, here there is only 2 options : "ramen" or "ramen with more charshu". Both costed ¥600 and ¥900 respectively. One you have decided on what you want, which is not a difficult decision to make, pass your ticket to the staff and they will start whipping up your bowl.

Men at work. Notice the topping ready for your consumption. 



 And in a minute or two, your meal is ready. I really liked the soup, which was clean yet rich at the same time. It felt like a combination of chicken and pork broth and went down very well. The noodles are basic egg noodles but they get the job done. 


Simple 
And the charshu that was already provided in the 600 bowl was tasty and slightly fatty. It did remind me more of Chinese cha siew than japanese charshu. If you think you need more to fill you up, feel free to get the "more charshu" version.




Meaty!
Once your bowl is served, you can opt to add some toppings, which are garlic, kimchi or pickled onions. Being greedy, I took all three. But of course, do taste the soup beforehand and see if you think you do need those flavour boosters. I liked the kimchi alot, as it added a slightly acidic and spicy profile to the dish. I am Malaysian after all, and I like my heat. 




I am a dragon, hear me roar!
There are several branches peppered throughout the city. But one of their flagships is the one in Midosuji, which is close to the Dotonburi street. And I believe that this is the branch you need to be in, as it gives you the real raw experience of having your noodles cooked in front of you and then gobbling it down while standing up. And the place is easy to spot, as there is a dragon on every exterior of each branch. Its not called golden dragon for nothing!




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings