Food Market Tour @ Kuromon Ichiba Market, Osaka





Hey everybody! For some of my friends who have been following me on my personal Facebook account, you would have probably known that I went to Japan again this year. That makes it three years in a row! I think this is a bit worrisome, but most close friends know that I am somewhat of a Japanophile.


Still early, but the crowds are coming in. 


However this time, we go to where the food really takes centerstage, Osaka! And the best place to start is Kuromon Market. Also known as Osaka's kitchen, this market boasts alot of fresh produce and cooked items ready to be eaten.



Burn baby burn!



And since I am on vacation, why not go big on my first dish? A wagyu skewer came before my sights and that was my first choice. The grilling sound was true music to my ears and the teriyaki glaze made it shimmer like a diamond. If you really want to splurge, you can opt for the Kobe beef skewer. But at ¥2500 a stick, I think that was pretty steep. I do no want to go bankrupt on my first day. Anyway, most wagyu nowadays are so good, that the difference between regions and types are quite small. Just in case if you are curious, the wagyu I got was from Fukushima. 




Off to a good start. 


At just ¥500 a skewer, this was an absolute bargain. The meat was juicy and supple. There were some silverskin but I did not mind. There was a lot of flavour as well and it was truly heavenly. The glaze was sweet and had a slightly floral aftertaste. 


One of the nicely decorated seating places to enjoy your meals. 

There are alot of sitting spots in the market which I like. It makes eating so much easier and more convenient. I have no problem standing and eating, but things may get messy, if you know what I mean. 

Time for something crunchy...



Being thoroughly satisfied, I decided to get something crunchy and golden. Who says Japanese food is usually healthy? A short walk after, I encountered a tempura stand and had a prawn dango. Well, it is not exactly mochi on a stick but rather prawn balls at ¥100!


Not dango. 


 It was crunchy on the outside and bouncy on the inside. It did look like fried dango, but clearly does not taste like it.  Just gorgeous. The stall I went had other amazing golden items like king crab legs and pumpkin wedges. They do look delicious, but I need ration my gut space. 


So golden. 



Yet, I found my kryptonite : menchi katsu! This to me, was like meeting forbidden love. Something so simple cannot be this good. But it was. It was minced meat packed into a patty then deep fried after coated with breadcrumbs. There was so much flavour in this patty and the juiciness was outstanding. 


Look at that!


There was a depth of savouriness too and I suspect there might be some crushed garlic or minced onions inside. Meat alot cannot taste this good. And at ¥200 for this golden nugget, it was like finding lost treasure. 


Coffee being roasted. 


Being breakfast, some coffee was in order and I found an interesting shop called Green Beans Parlour that grinds and roasts their beans in house. The echoing of the coffee spattering in the canister was like an advertisement on its own saying :coffee sold here! I got myself the house blend which stood for a modest ¥200. 

The stall where I got my eggs and fish. Nope, not eggs Benedict with smocked salmon. 


And being breakfast, eggs too need to be considered into the equation. But then again, I am on vacation. So why not up the ante and add some luscious eel on it? And that my friends stood for ¥500.


Final combo.


I was able to find a place to sit in a stall nearby and slowly but surely demolished my eggy order with utmost glee. The eel was seasoned well and had the classic salty and sweet combo that Japanese dishes are famous for. Delicious indeed. 


Simple but captivating beauty. 


The coffee was deep and smooth and had some kick. Yet, what I was impressed the most was that it was not acidic at all. I am ok with fruity or zesty coffees but it is just not my jam. Deep and nutty flavours however, are what I live for. 


Check out the array!


There are a wide variety of stuff to choose from and I even found shops that sell bento boxes that looked like full on meals! And being a market, this place is gourmet on a budget. A usual highlight for any trip to Osaka, Kuromon Market should be high on your list. 


A shot of another part of the market. 


Whether you are a tourist looking for street food to snack on, a gourmand out for a multi course meal, or even a resident getting your groceries, I am sure this place will sort you out just fine. The array of fresh food is just vast. To get there is quite easy as it is just a few minute walk away from the Nippombashi station.

The specific address is as follows:

2 Chome-4-1 Nipponbashi, Chuo Ward, Osaka, 542-0073, Japan


One of the many entrances of the market. 




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings