Takoyaki @ Aji no Daimaru, Shinsekai, Osaka.



It seems like the revisit came much faster than I thought!

We meet again!


No visit to Osaka, or Japan even, is complete without a hot steaming pile of takoyaki. And having takoyaki is always on my checklist whenever I am in Japan. Well, what is not to love?  Hot soupy dumplings with a springy core, it will surely delight your senses with flavour and contrast.



Now that is a sign!


And just like the kushi katsu, there is a takoyaki shop at almost every street. After some further exploring, I then decided to give Aji no Daimaru a try. I mean, nothing shouts takoyaki more than a giant octopus billboard. No?

Spot the ticket machine at the left. And note the menu pasted by the counter.


Ordering was relatively simple, and its done via a ticket counter system. Once you have made your choice, insert your money into the machine and then get your ticket. I opted for the soy sauce variant, as it is not common elsewhere which stood for ¥330 for a pack of six. Once you have your ticket, pass it to the counter and wait for your octopus balls to be served. Although there was a long line before me, the food came relatively quickly. Swift hands were in the works.

Yum!



I really liked the takoyaki that the store produced. Being in Osaka, this is the Kansai style batter, which means that the crust is more soft and the insides a bit more runny. There was that deep sweetness that you get from soy sauce which I enjoyed too. Not your typical takoyaki where you usually get it flavoured with salt.

This was very satisfying. 


And as it is already flavoured with soy sauce, the usual Japanese Worcestershire sauce is not present. Just bonito and mayonnaise this time. I think that was a good call, as that tangy sauce may affect the soy flavour of the octopus balls.

Men at work. 


While doing my initial drafting for this post, I found it surprising that this place has so many negative reviews. The food was cheap, the service was quick and the end result was delicious. It was so good I might come here again if I am in the area. Well, perhaps I am one of the lucky ones.

Be that as it may I definitely enjoyed my takoyaki from Aji no Daimaru. If you are in the Shinsekai area, just look for that giant octopus and you will know you are at the right place. However, if you really need an address, there it is as follows:

3 Chome-1-15 Ebisuhigashi, Naniwa Ward, Osaka, 556-0002, Japan

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings