Something Different : Visiting the Sapporo Beer Museum

 



I know this sounds like some exaggeration, but this is seriously one of the main reasons why I love Hokkaido. Sapporo is one of my favourite beers ever. And its creation is one of the main reasons as to why Japan now has a culture of beer brewing. With such a fabled history it has now garnered a reputation of being one of Japan greatest exports. That and anime but I digress. 



Sacred grounds. 



As this is a very popular tourist spot, I arrived around 11 am to get myself a ticket. Even before that various tourists from many countries were already waiting in front of the redbrick compound, although most of them are on tour. The local attendance is quite low considering I am here on a weekday. But do not let that deter you from doing a trip. Even I like to feel like a tourist once in a while. 



The theater is actually quite cool. 



After getting the purchase of a ticket that stood at 1000 yen, you are transported to a lift and then directed to a theater where you get to watch a documentary on how the Sapporo Beer brand was created and the man behind it, Nakagawa Seibei. It was very fascinating to learn about Nakagawa's story in being the only Japanese brewmaster in Germany. From landing in Germany to the first batch of beer, this was quite insightful and inspiring. 



Big! And shiny!



Once the viewing is over, visitors are then transported to the main exhibition area, via a spiral staircase heading downwards. Seeing the staircase encircling a giant copper kettle adds an element on how epic the entire operation is. And from there there are smaller exhibits consisting of posters, more life stories about Nakagawa and about the building itself, which was the original brewery. 



The original brewmaster certificate. Where it all began. 


The layout of the premises was actually quite smart and each exhibit is numbered to guide visitors on where to start. You can rent an audio guide kit to help you immerse better free of charge. But I opted not to as I would have to slog it around as I explore the area. 



Iconic. 


I particularly like the posters that they displayed. From classic Japanese style artwork to more contemporary photography, you can see how Japanese society evolve at the same time alongside this iconic drink. I really found the poster with the beer girls especially fascinating as they are not the typical ones you may see in the west. Rather it transitions from a geisha in a kimono slowly to a cabaret singer in a retro one piece. The fusion of classical costumes contrasting with an originally Western beverage is something I found quite striking. And a blue collar farmer in between for good measure. The art style is particularly detailed and intricate and will always leave a lasting impression. Ok, I will stop here since this is not meant to be an art critique column. 



Oh yes!



Of course once you are done exploring, it only makes sense to finish off the visit with a drink. Specifically 3! The museum has a taster set of 3 glasses of beer that stands at 1200 yen. And they consist of the Classic, Black Label and the rare Kaitakushi. Sapporo Classic, well is the classic. It has that iconic mellow, smooth, and refreshing taste that everyone knows while Sapporo Black Label is a crisper and slightly bitter beer that is also quite iconic. Both are great but I have had them a few times in Japan and abroad actually. 



Triple threat.
The Black Label is on the left, Classic at the center and the Kaitakushi on the right.



The special one is the Kaitakushi. This is especially rare as it is only brewed in Hokkaido and domestic circulation is quite limited. Thanks to using the finest ingredients of the region, it has an earthy taste to it with a bit of a rich mouthfeel. Although I enjoyed all 3, I had the first 2 before. The name is derived from the first batch of pioneers who entered Hokkaido when it was still the wild north. It should be noted that there is an even rarer beer called the Five Star. it is a legendary brew that is only made and sold in the museum. I was really keen on trying this.  But they are out of stock! I kid you not and they even placed a notice in front of the restaurants stating that. Well I guess that is a good thing especially for my liver. 



Till we meet again. 



Still despite that mild disappointment, I still had fun exploring the museum itself and the compound. the surrounding had that retro feel thanks to the redbrick monuments and seeing how everything was set up from the beginning was enlightening. You do not need to like beer to find it interesting, but it will sure increase your appreciation towards the overall product. If you would fancy a go, then the address to the Sapporo Beer Museum is as follows:

4 Chome-1 Kita 2 Johigashi, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0032


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings