Zangi Chicken @ Zangi Ichiban, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido

 




Many people have of course heard of karaage. But how about zangi chicken? If you have not, this is the time for me to introduce to you one of Japan's lesser known fried treats that deserve your reckoning. And there is no better place to try this for yourself in a shop which literally state that they are the number 1 on the game. Before hand, what is zangi anyway? 



That is alot of bottles!



Simply put, zangi is Hokkaido's regional version of Japanese fried chicken, which is famously known as karaage. While both are deep-fried chicken, zangi is typically marinated heavily in a strong garlic, ginger, and soy sauce combo before cooking. As such, it is flavourful enough to eat without a dipping sauce. It should be noted that certain karaage shops do marinade their chicken prior, although its more of a suggestion than a compulsory element. So with that out of the way, its time to dig into some amazing chicken from Zangi Ichiban. 



At the ready.



Located in the basement of an office complex, I am sure this place has seen many crazy nights with salary men scattered around the area. Since it was lunch time, the atmosphere was pretty subdued. However, the chicken was not.  Standing at a mere 900 yen for their lunch set, this value of a meal was a serious punch in the face. Although the external features do look a bit like karaage to the untrained eye, I do notice the batter to be a bit more brown compared to the regular karaage that we all know and love. But when it comes to the difference in experience, it is the inside that counts. 



What a close up. 



The golden outer crust had a nice crunch to it. The interior was soft and juicy. And the overall package was very flavourful, which you can only get if it was marinated prior. The umami level was just off the charts, and it was something which worked well with a side of rice. This was just fried food done very well. Speaking of rice, this shop gives you free flow rice, miso soup and pickles to accompany your meal. The side companions are DIY though and you can help yourself from the counter just outside the shop. And unlimited eggs? What an absolute bargain. I did not get the eggs was I was still processing the seafood I had for breakfast prior. 



Look at that colour



Is this the best fried chicken I had in Japan? I am not sure but it is definitely one of the best ones I had. All it took is a ride to Sapporo to get it done. You can probably find zangi in many shops and diners around the prefecture, but having a shop that is confident enough to say they are number 1? Well, there is only Zangi Ichiban. So if you would like to try some killer chicken, then the address is as follows:


1 Chome Kita 4 Jonishi, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0004




Front of the house. 


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings