Okinawa Soba @ Yui Yui, Ropponmatsu, Fukuoka





It has been a while since I have highlighted Okinawan food for the longest time. But all of this will change very soon, as I found out there is actually an Okinawan izakaya near the office. The best part is that they do lunch. 



Quaint!



Yui Yui is an Okinawan izakaya that runs its business near the courthouse and also a few minutes walk from Ropponmatsu station. So if you want a pick me up due to a failed application, or celebrate a legal victory, well you have one more option for you this time! It is located next to one of my favourite curry places, Currytiner (click here), so this is double the points for me. 


Hmm.. the afternoon menu seemed stacked with drinking snacks.
Thank goodness for the Okinawa Soba at the bottom!



With regard to its lunch selection, it is somewhat limited. However, what they have for lunch is something I really like, which is Okinawa soba. It should be noted that this is not normal buckwheat soba. Rather, its more like a thick linguini and its a bit closer to Chinese noodles than what you get in most Japanese eating spots. So, it seems like my lunch has decided by itself!



Oh yeah!



The noodles were coupled with a clean and clear broth with a huge chunk of rafute braised port. The bowl was simple but inviting at the same time. The soup was very clean and has a crisp taste to it. Yet, it has a warm and sweet lingering aroma from  it. I suspect that pork bones are in play, although it is closer to a nice chicken soup rather than the strong and heavy bases you get that is made famous in udon broths. 


This was delightful. 



The noodles were really like pasta. It has a nice bite to it and has a sweet nutty flavour, which makes it very similar to its Italian cousin. The slurping experience was also pretty good and the overall texture is fantastic. The soup latches on like a clingy child to its parent. So every strand was just loaded with awesome flavour. 



So tender, to the point it was actually falling apart in this photo!



Of course, the main star maker was that fatty chunk of pork. Everything felt like it was falling apart as it was just so tender. I would not be surprised if it was braised for hours. The dark soy and black sugar aroma can be felt within just mere seconds in putting it in my mouth. The fat that was hanging on the meat also dissolved rather quickly. This was ultra sinful but yet felt just right at the same time. There was fishcake too that came with the bowl. It was a welcome addition but cannot compare to this porky wonder. Still good though. 



Front of the house, located next to my favourite curry spot. Definitely easy to remember



It is a rather simple dish but it delivered in spades. However, as it is not as elaborate as other noodle dishes within its price range, the 950 yen seems somewhat steep. That being said, i will probably come back again if I need a change of pace for my usual lunch routine. Still, this is not a knock on that bowl at all. It was done quite well. 


Seeing this is an izakaya I might come over during the night time to see how it really is like. The menu intrigued me and I think I will probably have a good time if I have a few friends along. But if my lunch is anything to go by, I think it will be a good time worth remembering. So if you fancy a nice bowl of noodles or you want to catch the night scene of this fine establishment before me, then the address is as follows:

4 Chome-1-1 Ropponmatsu, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka, 810-0044

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings