Breakfast @ Restoran Happy, Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur


 


Lets hop onto the breakfast wagon again to one of my absolute favourites and a classic Malaysian morning staple, toast and coffee. Everyone has their own favourite spot, but for me, there is only once place that hits home hard, and that is once again in Brickfields. More specifically Restoran Happy. 



Old school!



For those more familiar with the area, this establishment is a typical Chinese hawker center with classic staples like chicken rice and curry noodles. But the ones who are in the know, their true starmaker is their coffee. In fact, the original name of the this place is "Kopi Gao Gai" which means, thick and strong coffee in Hokkien. And it was this caffeine concoction that truly fueled my days during law school. 



So much nostalgia in one shot



Well, although coffee is a good start to any day, we would need more things to get things really going. As for me, my trusty companion alongside my caffeine dosage was a good plate of kaya toast and half boiled eggs. Sure, they may look simple but they are absolutely glorious. Standing at RM10.20 for this trifecta may seem kinda decent, but I remembered a time when it was much lesser than that. Well, we can beat many things in life but probably not inflation. Having said that, my most recent visit reminded me that the flavours there did stand the test of time. 



Darker than black!



The coffee was still strong and satisfying. There was a good mouthfeel, which was slightly velvety and packed a lot of punch. Definitely something that can keep me going like those days gone by during my law school days about a decade ago. The toast was also something I still enjoyed, Crunchy on the outside, airy in the middle and sweet in the center, this was some killer breakfast. Also, this is not your regular store bought loaf, but rather proper Hainanese bread, which is getting harder to find as the days go by. A true walk down memory lane and the nostalgia bit did hit hard. 


Bliss



To round it all off, were 2 half boiled free range eggs. They are typical to the breakfast ensemble and nothing to shout about. Having said that, having some protein does help round out the morning. There are also other items that I enjoy from this place, in particular their paos. The char siew and red bean ones are my go to. However, I would like to give homage to my usual order as it is not only something I will always enjoy, but it does define what a typical breakfast ought to look like. Simple but effective, and always packed with satisfaction. So if you would like to try something old school with no frills and full of wholesome goodness, then this place is just the ticket. So if you fancy a visit, then the address is as follows:


4, Jalan Thambipillay, Off, Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur



Front of the house. Until next time!




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings