Street Food Dinner @ Restoran Lai Kong, Petaling Jaya

 





One of the few things that I miss while living in Japan is the Malaysian concept of hawker food courts. Although Japan, especially Fukuoka, is famous for its street food and humble eats, the idea of many people going to one place to set up shop for a prolonged period of time seems non-existent. Sure, there are food festivals from time to time, they are at least a few days and at most a month. So that is why when I was able to return home for some time, it was about due time to get myself busy with some classic street food. And one of those places is Restoran Lai Kong. As now my audience has expanded to a more international landscape, perhaps some background would be helpful. 



Massive!


Being one of the main pillars of eating our in Malaysia, hawker centers provide business owners a space in their premises to open a portable kitchen in exchange for a certain fee. This works out like a subletting, where the owner of the building or block with give the space for a hawker to cook and manage the amenities like power and water. The hawker will then either pay a monthly fee or a cut of their earnings, depending on what was agreed upon. Although hawker centers may be mixed up with food courts, and  are technically the same in nature, there are some differences.



A peek inside the spacious dining area of Lai Kong



The food courts tend to be associated with slightly more upmarket clientele and are based in shopping malls and convention centers, although not always. Hawker centers will be more gritty and spartan, where stalls may consist of portable kitchens around the premises. The main denominator is usually if the stalls are either permanent fixtures waiting for vying tenants for food courts. And despite advances in tech and society, hawker centers are still going strong. 



I missed you!




One of the first things I immediately ordered was the chai tao kueh, or fried carrot cake. It has always been a staple of mine, and I loved it tremendously. Luckily enough, the one from Restoran Lai Kong was able to hit all the right notes. It was expertly fried, with the smoky aroma being just right. It was well seasoned and had a slightly chewy texture on the outside while a delectable crusty outer part. There was also a good amount of pickled vegetables, which is a main ingredient for this dish. And doused with a good chunk of chilli oil, and you get something that is simply amazing. All that for just RM8? Now that is a good deal. 



Another classic



Next in line were the popiah spring rolls for RM5. They were decent, although I had much better elsewhere. Still, it was done correctly and I still enjoyed it. The braised daikon was nice, and the fresh veggies help put everything down. It did help wash down the greasy mess that was the carrot cake. As such, this was a welcomed addition. 



This was actually amazing



In terms of protein, I got myself a serving of braised duck, which stood for RM10. This is probably the most expensive thing this evening, but probably the most decadent as well. The duck was tender to the touch and was such a great joy to chomp down. The herbal sauce gave it a slightly floral aftertaste and helps temper the gamey aroma that is usually present in such meats. If you like the taste of lots of cinnamon and aniseed, then this is your go to. It is usually eaten with rice, but as I want to have more stomach space for other stuff, I opted out of that. 



Noodle time!



Speaking of stomach space, it was then filled up with a decent bowl of prawn noodles. Also called "hokkien noodles" in Penang, this is a staple in terms of chinese style hawkers. The soup was red and spicy, with the aroma of prawns lingering in the background. The noodles were the standard ones you can get in the supermarket. But they serve the purpose of transporting the flavours well. The bowl is also loaded with ingredients like a boiled egg, braised shrimp and vegetables. Bits of fried garlic and scallion oil complete the whole package. It was decent and if you are a fan of soup based noodle dishes, then this will tickle your fancy. This bowl was for RM9.50.



Another classic staple



Last but not least, we have the classic satay. Honestly speaking,  I cannot remember how much it cost for this set of 10. But it was good and it help complete the meal with the extra boost of protein. However, if you are going somewhere just for satay, there are other better recommendations (click here  if you are in the PJ area). Still it was pretty decent and I enjoyed it.


Some of the cast members. What a sight to behold.



After having such a variety of dishes, it was then time to head home. And before you judge me, please note that I did not eat all of this alone as my parents were with me on this one. Although I do have a voracious appetite, I do keep it in check. My doctor will not be pleased if I do not. 



A view from another angle.



It has been a while since I have been to this side of the city. Even before my move to Japan, I have my other favourites when it comes to hawker centers. Having said that, it was definitely a choice I did not regret after having such a great meal. And being reintroduced to so many local classics has left me pretty satisfied. So if you are somehow in this side of the country, going to a hawker center is definitely a cultural experience you do not want to miss. And if somehow you would like to come to Restoran Lai Kong, then the address is as follows:


11, Jalan PJS 8/7, Sunway Mentari, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings