Cheese n' Steak Sandwich @ Six Pines, Ropponmatsu, Fukuoka

 





If you like your sandwiches to have a bit more personality, then I definitely have a place for you. And if you like to have your sandwich place to have a bit more personality, you have come to the right place. Due to a change in work circumstances, my office has now moved to a slight more suburban area of Ropponmatsu. It it is mostly a suburban area that personally I have not explored much. I have been to this side of Fukuoka before but for the past 3 years being here, probably a handful of times. 



Look what we have here? 




Being a new part of town I have yet explored, I asked a few friends before moving here on their top recommendations. One of the many names that keeps on popping is Six Pines Sandwiches which is located not too far from my office. Being just a 10 minute walk from Ropponmatsu station, it seems pretty convenient as well. And hence my first lunch at the area. Once you enter into the place, it felt more like a jazz bar than a sandwich outlet. Then again, this is no surprise considering they host live music events from time to time. And they have a well stocked bar. Since this was lunch time, I think I should refrain from any alcoholic beverages for now. And since it was lunch time, a sandwich would be fitting. 



Le menu. 



There are various types for you to choose from and enjoy. Subway would probably lose on the variety department. From bahn mi variations to pulled pork, there is something for everyone. The hot dog did catch my attention. However, I ended up getting a cheese n' steak sandwich which did not disappoint. 



Glorious! You can spot the root beer can at the yonder. 



The entire sandwich was piping hot and smoking when it hits your plate. In fact, I stood by the counter and I can see the store manager lovingly prepare the bun and cook off the beef before hand. Everything just seem to fall into place. The beef fried along with onions and peppers, was tender and flavourful, and that was without the cheese sauce. The creamy and tangy cheese sauce just makes this entire thing even more enjoyable and sinful. Funnily enough, the best part of the entire package was actually the bread. 



The peppers and onions really gave this an extra kick. 


The bread is very similar to a bahn mi loaf, which is quite different than a french loaf. The outer crust is flaky but not too hard, while the bread inside was soft, chewy and had a lot of air pockets. Yet, it felt pretty substantial and had a great mouthfeel. To round it all off, I ordered a side of chips and a drink. The chips are regular fried potatoes, simple but does the job. The drink came in the form of a can of root beer, which was fitting to clean everything down. Although I have had root beer many times, it is still something I always look forward to. 



I will be back!



Overall, this was rather enjoyable and I would like to come here again to try other sandwich variations. The price is modest too, for each sandwich stands at 700 yen, while adding a side of fries and a drink is an additional 250 yen. Being a live music venue, I might come over during the hours after work to enjoy the evening over a beer. So if you are somehow in Ropponmatsu, I cannot recommend this place enough and if this has caught your attention, the address is as follows: 

〒815-0045 Fukuoka, Chuo Ward, Kusagae, 2 Chome−2−8 Matsukuma Building  1F




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings