Laksa Lunch @ Rasa Malaysia Ginza, Ginza, Tokyo

 




There is no place like home. But since I do not have much of a chance to go back this year, I think a trip to Tokyo will do just fine. And it was more than fine, it was rather delicious. 



Another dead end in Tokyo?



Although known for being the high end area of the world most populous city, there are some spaces that do serve food at reasonable prices. One of it is Rasa Malaysia Ginza. This was a bit of an interesting find as anything that is non-Japanese food will be at a premium. Heck, even Japanese food here can fetch a hefty tag. 



Decision made!



I went there during lunch on a Saturday with friends from work. And since it is lunchtime, there is the fixed lunch menu that is actually pretty decent. There are some of the main staples present but the one I was looking for was laksa. It was such a no brainer, since it is quite hard to find outside Malaysia period, let alone Japan. 



Definitely would not mind have just satay, honestly. 



But before my bowl of noodles came over, a few starter dishes came beforehand. The satay that was served was actually pretty good. Well marinated and seasoned perfectly, I liked the turmeric kick and the peanut sauce was very close to home. A small bowl of vegetable soup and a side salad help clean everything down. This was not bad honestly. 



Tasty but a bit out of place. 



The next starter was a fresh spring roll. Honestly it was decent and inoffensive. The fresh herbs gave off a floral fragrance and everything felt very zesty and vibrant. The only problem is that this is more of a Vietnamese dish and I can do without it. But since it is part of the set, I cannot really complain.



Check this bowl out, but don't mind the egg. 




Then came the main event, my mean and spicy bowl of noodles. It was a bit of a mess which I do not mind, since laksa is usually meant to be seen as street food. The noodles were a combination of bihun and yellow noodles, which is standard fare. I would prefer just regular yellow noodles on its own however, not asking first was my fault. 



Creamy


The broth was great. It was punch, fragrant and had a lot of coconut in it. The creaminess gave it a tonkotsu-like texture and gave off a velvety mouthfeel. It would be better if the spiciness was a bit higher, although I am aware they would need to cater to the local crowd. 



Found a hidden gem!


In terms of the other ingredients, I felt they were pretty generous. There was a nice helping of steamed chicken on the top and between the noodle threads were chunks of prawns that were just waiting to be eaten. However, the egg that came with it was not expertly done. In fact, there were cracks in it. I mean, how do you crack a boiled egg? Still this was a minor issue and I still enjoyed my bowl anyway. 



The finisher



To finish off the meal, there was a grass jelly, mango, and coconut dessert. Although both ingredients are staples in Malaysian desserts, having them combined here is definitely a first for me. A bit unusual but still enjoyable. I really liked it. Thumbs up for the innovation. 



As it is located on the 5th floor, there is technically no sign in front of the store. 
So I guess this will do. 



Overall, this was an enjoyable meal and something I might go for again if I am in Ginza. Sure, the spring rolls and the dessert is not really authentic, but those are minor issues. And standing at 1500 yen in the heart of the street for the rich and famous? This seems to be a steal. So if you fancy a go, the address is as follows:

5th floor, Ginza Morita Building 3 Chome-3-6 Ginza, Chuo City, Tokyo 104-0061






Comments

Weekly Top Rankings