Food Challenge : Daebak Ghost Pepper Noodle Challenge [Post 150!!!]




Things are going to get a little hot. Well, very hot in fact.

The Daebak Ghost Pepper noodle is making the rounds in social media and also newspaper outlets locally and even overseas. Created by those diabolical people from Mamee, this abomination is said to be one of the spiciest instant noodles in the world. Not to back down from a challenge, I did mention to my friends once if someone gets it for me. And somebody did!

All smiles, before the end of the world



I was fortunately (or unfortunately), picked as one of the winners for a friend's Youtube giveaway. And no, it was not rigged and it was a very random and unpredictable selection in terms of names. Also, as I have taken volume in my previous food challenge, I think it would be a good change of pace if we got for intensity instead. Maybe in hindsight, it was not a real good idea.

Utter darkness


That monster in a cup looks already menacing at the outset. It was loathe at first sight. Looking like utter darkness, the noodle cake was really something to behold. The saucy spice mix was also something. I did have a sniff into it and it actually had a very good aroma to it. There is alot of smoky elements, being the chilli loaded monster that it is. There are also some sweetness and tartness. Vinegar perhaps? 

Adding in the sauce.


After tipping off the water that was used to cook the noodles, the sauce was then mixed in. And a moment later, I took it down. The first few slurps were not bad. They were in fact very delicious. There was alot of flavour and it was a very complex flavour. There is a savouriness that cannot be described. But then again, this is the first time I am having ghost pepper. There is alot of garlic in the backdrop and hints of onion powder too. There is also a mild sweet profile in between. The heat was warming my mouth but it was not stinging. But the temperature began to rise slowly.

The beginning is always the easiest. 


After 40 seconds, I began to struggle and my eyes began to water. My throat started to burn and even my hands felt cold and a bit numb. I finished the cup quite fast but that was not the end. The fire from the noodles really came after all of it. The heat kept on rising and my lips began to swell. As sweat starts to pour, my face became beet red. Not to mention that my nose became very runny and I was literally tearing. Really not fun. Was not fun at all.

Trying to hold on to my composure. A sinister look at the background


It was still an experience that was worth noting though. Still, I would not do this ever again. Maybe if someone pays me I might reconsider. The incentive must be super high if I were to do this again. And it must include at least some milk, ice cream and other heat busters. Maybe a fire extinguisher needs to be included too.  But for now, I would pray for the sad soul that wishes to take on the challenge. 


What a change in complexion. Who needs lip fillers when you can have chilli?


PS: Thanks to JR Song for the noodles. Also if you are more of a video person, this was caught on camera. Do check out the Youtube video by clicking here and also his channel, where I do make the odd appearance from time to time. Also, thanks to XH in taking photos again. Do check out his other work on his Instagram by clicking here

PSS: Thank you all for the support. And because of that the TOG has hit its 150th post! Not bad for a side gig. But in all honesty, this has been a fun ride and I will do my best in providing quality content and enjoyment for all my readers. May the eating continue. 


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings