Boba Battle: Brown Sugar Boba Milk Showdown Part 1.


This was some sugar rush preparing this.

Look at that line!


The world seems to be taken over by bubble tea and more specifically, brown sugar bubble pearls or boba. And if you cannot beat them, join them I guess?


The OG

I have always liked  bubble tea and its variations. Even back in my early adulthood, I would make the effort to get a good dose of bubble tea if I am in the mood to treat myself. But then, it was just one of those sugary treats that we all have once in a while. Like ice cream or cake, that sort of thing.


Never in my wildest dreams that it would reach this magnitude. But it did and in a new form, brown sugar infused milk. And almost everyone says that their version is the best. But how true is that? So this is where I come in! It was quite the task to actually set out the variables of assessment for this battle. In the end, I have sort of set out some basic rules, and overall scoring will be based on a scale of 1 to 10:

  1. Only one drink will be assessed for this showdown, which is the brown sugar boba milk
  2. Each drink shall be assessed based on their main elements which are the milk, the brown sugar syrup and boba. Flavour and texture will be key in this, but balance and harmony among the ingredients are crucial factors too. 
  3. Additional points will be given for creativity and variation of  the three above-mentioned elements. 
  4. Other factors such as price, value for money, and availability will be considered, but are not the defining elements. 
Without further ado, lets get ready to rumble!

Deerioca Brown Sugar and Fresh Milk  (RM12.90)
The Alley, Berjaya Times Square 

Might as well seize the chance. 


This was the first boba milk outlet I have visited and really had no intention in trying out at first. However, as the line was small, I was like, why not? Do note that this outlet is located at Berjaya Times Square and not the notorious SS15 boba street. So the lines are much smaller and after a 15 minute wait, my boba milk was ready.

Cherry popped


I really liked this alot. The brown sugar was thick and sweet, and somewhat nutty. The milk was the pink carton you get from an Australian dairy farm and as such, it was creamy and had a velvet-like texture. The boba was chewy and yet had a good bounce. It fought back but it was not too chewy to the point it became a chore to chew on.


PSA


In terms of balance, everything seems to mix perfectly. The boba was well infused with the brown sugar and was a sugary surge from head to toe. The ice was at a minimum which was good, as the overall experience did not dilute as we progressed. However, some people did tell me that it is too creamy and that the sugar syrup is a bit too intense. I did like it overall, as all elements were strong enough to balance each other out. But there is a point to be made on intensity.

A good start so far, and probably will be the benchmark for my other assessments for now.

Pros: all elements hit the spot
Cons: elements may be too strong for your liking. Also, only one size (medium) that is available
Notable points: each ingredient packs a punch.

Overall scoring: 8/10

So, on to the next one!

Brown Sugar Boba Milk (RM12.50)
Xing Fu Tang, SS15

What a line!



Of course, no boba battle will be complete without a visit to SS15. This was where it all began. And where this is where it will all end? Only time will know. And Xing Fu Tang boasts in being Taiwan's number 1. Will it be my number 1? Lets find out together. Despite having a long line that stretched to 3 shop lot units, it was a relatively short wait as I waited in line for about 12 mins to get my order and another 8 minutes for it to be ready. Not too bad I guess.

Second in tow


The boba milk was also done quite well here. Although I do feel it is a notch down compared to the Alley. The milk is not as creamy and the syrup is not that sweet nor as nutty. The boba had a more tender texture compared to the Alley and the boba had a better infusion. And when it comes to balance, Xing Fu Tang hits that nail perfectly. I would not be surprised if the secret was that cauldron of boba cooking in that dark syrup outside each shop.

Boil boil and burn!



A second place for now, but a strong second place.

Pros : very well balanced, boba and syrup infusion is outstanding
Cons: all the elements are slightly milder, but still enjoyable.
Notable points: probably your go to if the Alley is too strong for your taste


Overall scoring : 7.5/10

Brown Sugar Boba Milk (RM12.90)
Tiger Sugar, Sunway Pyramid


What? No line?


This was an impromptu purchase as I was initially put off the first time I saw the line. But when I was there to get some electronics on a Sunday morning, it was almost empty! There is a lot of volume in one serving. And as I went to do my shopping before I had my breakfast, that was a welcomed sight. Boba, the new breakfast of champions!

Can you hear this tiger roar?



I liked the milk, as it was creamier than Xing Fu Tang, but not as strong as the Alley. The sugar syrup was definitely intense and thick. However, one drawback was that the boba had a plain core. The syrup did not latch on to the pearls properly and that was a real set back. The is also a bit of extra effort needed in chewing the pearls.


There is alot in one serving, Kudos to that. 


Pros: there is alot of volume here and the syrup is great.
Cons: Boba not infused well, pearls need a bit additional RND.
Notable points: volume! You get alot from your purchase.


Overall scoring: 7/10

Grand Scoring (for now)
1. The Alley @ 8 /10
2. Xing Fu Tang @ 7.5/10
3. Tiger Sugar @ 7/10


So there you have it folks round 1 of my boba battle. I do caveat that this is based on my personal preferences. However, as I have been working on the blog for almost 2 years now and being a person critical of my own culinary skills, I think my judgment has some credence. Of course the battle is not over! Stay tuned to this space to find out who will come in and do battle in the second part of this multi part series.



Comments

Weekly Top Rankings