Egyptian Feteer @ Tut's Egyptian Eatery, 1Utama, Petaling Jaya



Fancy an Egyptian breakfast? Well I didn't at first but this was an establishment where the curiosity paid off! 

Tut's is a new (to me at least) restaurant that has opened in 1Utama and serves specifically Egyptian food. We all know variations of Arabic food in one way or another. And grouping Egyptian food is the common misconception of the masses. However Egyptian cuisine has its own take on many elements. Being close to the Mediterranean and having more diverse agriculture than the Middle East, their take on food is very different. After all, they are in fact an African culture. 


My breakfast date. 




As I have yet to have my breakfast, the all day breakfast set seems to fit the bill. Feteer is their take on buttery flatbread. Thick roti canai and you more or less get the picture. It is much denser and harder than the local favourite interpretation of the flatbread but do not let it deter you. It is much more firm but it goes down well. Feteer is buttery and because of its thick and dense center, it was able to carry the dips that came with the breakfast set.


Time to chow down.


I opted for the set A which gave me a choice of 2 dips, which was the red feta and cheesy mashed potatoes. The red feta was spectacular. With one bite you can identify the red peppers in the dip and the cheese was strong but not overpowering. Bits of chopped pickles in it added to it a fresh contrast.  It was so good that there were a few moments that I just attacked it using a spoon. 

Kingmaker!


The mash was good too. Although not as explosive as the feta dip, it was what I needed to cut away the richness of the cheese and peppers. The whole thing went down like a storm and was served alongside a cup of coffee. The coffee was just about average but when the main event was good, the undercards tend to carry little weight as the event progresses. And the ticket price for this meal was RM 15. Not too bad really.

The dining area is almost empty. But it had more patrons as I was about to leave.



The place is quaint and comfortable. As I was around in the early morning, the place is not crowded. I would not be surprised if Tut's becomes very loaded as the day progresses as the menu looks affordable and it is a different meal option than your usual mall eating outlets. 

You cannot miss this sign. 


This was a great introduction to Egyptian cuisine to me and rest assured that if I am given the opportunity to visit again, a more comprehensive eating experience will be at hand! Fancy a go? The place is as follows:

LG333A, New Wing, 1-Utama Shopping Centre
1 Lebuh Bandar Utama, Bandar Utama
47800 Petaling Jaya


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings