Pork Soup and Rice@ Leong Kee, Jalan Tun HS Lee




From fancy cafes to humble eats, rest assured that TOG has got you covered. And when it comes to humble eats, organ meat will most likely be what comes to mind. 

 On a way back from work, I took the liberty to make a slight detour to a place I have not been in many years, Leong Kee. In fact, I did not even know that the stall has a name until recently as I always called it the pork soup stall. Because, it is just that, a simple stall selling pork soup. It was a trip down memory lane as the last time I visited this stall was back in 2016, and the time before that was about 2014. 

Men at work


I opted to have a good old fashion serving of soup and rice, eventhough it was way beyond better judgment as the weather was blazing. I was sweating buckets already at that point just to walk from Masjid Jamek station. Hot soup would probably aggravate any heat related discomfort. But as I was really looking forward in reacquainting myself with an old flavour, I stubbornly continued. 

Dinner is served


And what came served in a bowl was just heavenly, although the weather was so hot it felt that you were just a step away from the devil's living room. The soup was so good that it distracted me for a moment away from the weather, even though the soup was pretty hot itself.  The soup was clean and crisp as it is a pickled vegetable based broth. People who like the peppery versions do not have to be too concerned as the intense yet simple flavour really gives it great body yet some lightness. 

Loaded bowl of  porky goodness


Also, the bowl was loaded with the good stuff. And when I mean the good stuff, it means going all out with intestines, tripe, liver, tongue and even blood for the pickings. Almost every bit of the pig was not wasted, and the flavours were exciting yet soothing. And the whole thing was very reasonable, where a bowl of large soup with a bowl of rice and ice tea was just RM11.30. 

Decor, well what decor? 


If your interpretation of street food is food prepped and eaten on the street, rest assured that this joint has got you covered! The decor of the place is nothing to shout about. In fact, what decor? Its folding tables and plastic stools and there is nothing wrong with just sticking to the basics. It is as Spartan as it gets. Was it uncomfortable? Of course. Was it messy? Indeed. Was it intense? Absolutely. Would I come again? Affirmative. 

Adding the finishing touches to one of the many bowls served


A place that I would hope to visit again, this is a place you must go if you are indeed a food adventurer scrambling in the heart of KL. It has served many satisfied patrons, even my parents, whom had eaten there many times, and their first experience was 30 years ago. 

Definitely tastes better than it looks. 



A hidden gem of the city, you will be doing yourself a favour in getting a bowl here. As this place does not have an address per se, I have marked it on a screen shot of Google Maps to make. And X marks the spot!

Look out for the red X


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings