Steak @ Ribera Steak House, Meguro, Tokyo


 

From one pilgrimage to another, I have decided to use this previous Tokyo trip to its maximum utility. And this time, I was able to squeeze in a visit to a wrestling pilgrimage spot, Ribera Steak House. Dubbed the spiritual home of pro wrestling in Japan, this humble restaurant has been around for decades. And if you are into body slams and elbow drops, you know what I am talking about. 


More lights than the millenium countdown.


Originally just an ordinary steak and grill place, the first outlet in Gotunda ran by Norikazu Yamaguchi was made famous when wrestling legend Bruiser Brody came to visit in the 70s. He was so impressed with his meal that he started wearing the Ribera jacket when he went on tour. So via that strong advertising, more and more wrestlers visited the place and have left their autographs and memorabilia as display. From indie darlings to kings of strong style and phenomenal performers of the current era, chances are you may find their photos on the wall or the ceiling of this place. 



Simple


For my visit, I went to the second outlet in Meguro which is currently managed by his son Toshihiko. And the establishment was very easy to spot. It is not often you see pictures of wrestlers of various countries and generations being plastered on the outer lighting of the place. Definitely a wrestling fan's must visit. Well this is a food blog so how about the food? This is essentially a steak and grill, so they only serve beef with a few sides. The classic sides are rice and corn, which are Japanese staples and comes with all meals. You can opt for more corn, salad or corn soup It was a modest menu. Then again, you are not here for truffles and soufflé, aren't you? 



Sizzling hot!


I got myself a 200 gm steak which fetch a hefty 2500 yen and extra corn for 500 yen. I was sat by the counter, which means I could see Yamaguchi san in action. But this also means I will smell like beef grease after I leave. Well, not that I am complaining. But something to consider if you have plans after your meal here.  He worked with absolute breakneck speed and one by one chunks of meat were seen flying off his grill and onto plates of customers. I really wanted to take a photo with his as he was so close. But Yamaguchi san was so busy and it looked it was a one man gang operation so I let him be. And soon enough, my dinner was ready. 


Witness the redness


The steak was relatively simple, but was seared to perfection. Salt and pepper with a little piece of butter on top. The steak was red and juicy on the inside, while the outer had a golden crust. It is definitely not wagyu, so there needs to be some chewing involved. But it is alright, as I like some definition of texture in my steak. 


This was actually really nice. 


Accompanying it is a homemade onion marmalade which gave the overall dish a bit of zest, sweetness and sting. Rice is not something I associate steak with but it works pretty well. The corn was just plain corn. Nothing to shout about, but it helps cut some of the fatty edge of the beef and carbs from the rice. 


Young Cena! And the Undertaker without his trenchcoat.
With the Rock and a young Jericho in between.


Overall I did enjoy my meal there. As the dishes were prepared real quick I left there rather quick as well. The steak was basic, but it was real good. Sometimes you cannot beat simple and rather than reimagining perfection, just work with it. That being said, the main event is the history of the restaurant itself. Seeing pictures of my old heroes and young lions was a chokeslam of nostalgia. Just note that D-Von will not be getting the tables here. 



With the man himself!


It was quite the effort in getting here, as the restaurant is located in the suburbia that is Meguro. But if you followed the wars on Monday nights,  like some beefy goodness that is not from a barber, or just a sexy boy (and no boy toy) do consider Ribera a go. Bonus points to all the readers who have spotted the wrestling easter eggs in this article. The Meguro branch is located at the following address:


〒153-0064 Tokyo, Meguro City, Shimomeguro, 6 Chome−17−20 下目黒マンション



Another angle of the entrance. 




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings