Mazesoba @ 453 Shikomi, Ropponmatsu, Fukuoka




 After discovering this shop during a recent lunch sojourn, I know it that it will take me little time for me to return to this side of town to get some delicious chowdown. This is literally next to the kaisen don shop which I have tried and strongly recommend (click here to know more). So you can call this a spiritual sequel? In any event, if you are in need of good noodles, then this is the place to be. 



Surprisingly varied for a noodle spot. 



453 Shikomi is located at the refurbished dormitory to which Hanabi is also located. I am not sure how "453" in the name came from, as it was not clearly mentioned in the premises, rather the sign on the wall refers to this spot as "Shikomi Central Kitchen". There is a small sign leaning on a pole that says "453" but if you are not aware, you might probably think it was meant for someone else. But I digress.The spot focusses of the soupless mazesoba ramen dish. 



Hefty! Note the small dishes at the right



With a great variety to choose from, you might be spoilt for choice. If you are feeling funky fancy, you can choose the kimchi bowl. However, if you can opt for the natto version. As for me, seeing this is my first time, I picked their classic bowl at 850 yen. 



  
Such colours




This was a pretty good deal considering that there was a lot when it comes to this bow. The bowl was just loaded with colours and ingredients, with a fresh egg yolk standing at the center. Of course, you are not meant to eat it as it is as it is meant to be mixed up before you head along in slurping things down. Well for the uninitiated "maze" in Japanese means "mixing" or "to mix". So after messing around in order for the ingredients to properly meld together, I took my first slurp. 



Absolutely amazing. 




It was an incredible first slurp! The sauce that was glazing the noodles were punchy and had tons of flavour. It was a deep sweet soy aroma, but at the same time some hint of garlic and a strong walloping of chilli oil. The egg yolk acted like a form of glue that thickens the liquids here, thus making all the flavours stick very closely to those golden strands. The meat chunks and chopped scallions also gave an extra edge in terms of flavour and texture. The slightly spicy green onions added some freshness and the marinated porky chunks provided extra depth into it. They reminded me of Taiwanese pork mince. Although to be fair, mazesoba has been known to be inspired by soupless Chinese noodles. Some famous chains also call them Taiwanese noodles. I am not sure if that is an accurate representation, but it does taste closer to Chinese flavour profiles than Japanese. 



Carb reload. 



If there are extra sauce left over, you are given the option to add in some white rice to scoop everything up and not leave that tasty nectar to waste. Which I did. The rice was a great call, despite giving me an intense after-lunch carb crash within 30 minutes. The way the grains absorb all that flavour was just incredible and was a good way in leaving this bowl very clean. 



Clean!




To round out the meal, there were 2 small sides of egg tofu and okra. They were alright and I feel they were somewhat unnecessary. The soup that came with them, however, was such a stunner. It was a simple clear chicken broth. But it was so much flavour and aroma that it was thoroughly enjoyable, despite its plain look. And last but not least I was given a small probiotic drink at the end. It was a bit unnecessary as well, but this made me smile a bit as it was a sign of great service. And all of this for 850 yen? Boy, I am definitely coming again. 





If you are a fan of great noodles, then this is a place I strongly recommend. Despite being located in suburbia and not in the city center, this is one of the few times I think the effort will definitely justify the journey. So if this has caught your attention, the address is as follows: 


〒810-0044 Fukuoka, Chuo Ward, Ropponmatsu, 4 Chome−6−25 





Comments

Weekly Top Rankings