Nasi Kandar @ Restoran Hameediyah, Desa Ria, Bayan Lepas

 




There are many places in Penang where the state is synonymous with a food institution. And one of which is nasi kandar, and more specifically, Hameediyah. Known for its long queues and even longer history, this great establishment was serving up rice and curry since 1907. And it is pretty apt that they expand and ended up in one of their newer branches in Bayan Lepas. 



The queue has yet to build up, which is good. 



Why not go to the original one in George Town? Well the line is much shorter here and the food quality is still the same, as mostly locals with go here. The original outlet is also patronized by locals but it has become a tourist hot spot. Will I go to the original shop in the future? Probably. But did I regret not doing so? That is a resounding no. 

Being my first time and also from the recommendation of friends, I got the fried cabbage, fried potatoes and a side of beef rendang. Sounds simple enough and is actually my go to combination when it comes to mamak food. Yet there is something special behind all of that familiar comfort. 

A special ensemble. 




The food here is simple yet profound. There is something that I cannot really pin point and that says a lot. The spices were somehow more fragrant that what I am used to and has a deeper and richer flavour, If that makes sense. The cabbage had a more turmeric kick and the potatoes tasted like as though it had a bath in masala before being fried. The beef was pretty good too. The gravy was sweet and spicy, with a strong cinnamon and clove punch. It was a bit tough though, probably its due to the fact they used the tougher parts of the cow. 

Heard the murtabak is good too. Some other time. 



You may probably notice that I did not elaborate or further explain like how I usually do in many other posts. But it is really hard to. As the food taste very familiar and all the flavour points are in check, and yet, there is something lingering behind it all which is just amazing. Is it umami? Or crack? Who knows? All I can say that this was a great plate to gobble into. 

Social distancing dining done right. 



Overall I enjoyed this meal and I would like to try more of the dishes they have. And for RM8.50 for the plate I have, a return seems very likely. Fancy a go, the address for the Bayan Lepas branch is as follows:  

300-X-1, Jalan Dato Ismail Hashim, Desa Ria, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Pulau Pinang

Front of the house



Comments

Weekly Top Rankings