Food Challenge : Penang Sup Torpedo (Bull Penis Soup) Challenge [Post 250]

 



Well, it has reached to this point ladies and gentlemen! A food challenge that needs serious balls, in a more literal sense. 


Before the lunch rush



Sup Hameed is a legendary mamak restaurant located in the heart of the Penang island. Although it does serve the classics like roti and rice dishes, soup is their main star. And to which, there is a huge variety to choose from. You can choose chicken, beef or lamb. They all come in the same herbal flavoured stock and served with a good helping of rice or bread. Well, I was there for something more adventurous, and is probably their most well known soup which is the thing that differentiates bulls from cows. No surprises that this is called a "torpedo".


My lunch ensemble. 




Well, I have done volume and spice for past challenges so I think its high time I try the slightly bizarre and not too long after, my bowl of bull manhood came soon after. It was a deceiving bowl indeed, as it looks like any good soup from a mamak. All the good stuff is at the bottom though. And after digging the bottom, the complexion starts to change. Tubes soon start to float and it is pretty obvious what it was. 


I think you can tell what this is. 



Tubes of cartilage seems to be what was left of the torpedo. It has a very chewy texture and it does feel like cartilage. I thought it will be tough muscle or something that was ultra chewy. It had a lot of resistance, but was more akin to a tough piece of tendon or gelatin. It was not as terrible as I initially thought. It was not pleasant, but it was still something that was reasonably easy to chew down. Well, if you are a person that likes organ meat, this would not be an issue. The male organ does not have much flavour though, so if you are looking for some exotic flavour trail, you would be sorely disappointed. 


Clean! It was not unpleasant but then again, not something I will repeat. 



The soup was quite flavourful though. It has a lot of that classic mamak spices and has a walloping or garlic and onions. And the carb of choice for me was some slices of white bread. But ordinary white bread it was not. Rather it is that classic roti Bengali that was served alongside. The airy and sponge-like texture absorbed all that spices easily and made that slice of bread incredibly flavourful. Well, seems like I am going off-tangent. But then again its a bull's babymaker soup and not just the masculine organ on its lonesome right. 


With such bright colours, this place is kinda unmissable. 



In the end, this was a much simpler challenge that I thought it would be. Would I do it again? Probably not. However, I would definitely visit this place again for the other soup dishes if I have the chance. if you are into exotic animal parts or just like mamak style soup in general, why not give this place a visit? The address is as follows: 


48, Jln Penang, George Town, 10000 George Town, Pulau Pinang

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings