Sushi @ Sushi Masasho, Momochi, Fukuoka

 




The Fukuoka Tower area is not what I usually envision when it comes to sushi. Since this is a beach side area, barbecues and burgers are more common place. However, my perception has changed once I discovered Sushi Masasho in the Pavaria building just not far away from the beach. 



Looks more fancy than expected!


Sushi Masasho (寿司まさ庄), or just Masaho, is a simple sushi restaurant in Paveria, not far from the Chinese shop that serves pork feet ramen (click here to know more, it is so good). Since I had not had good sushi for a while, I thought I might just give it a shot. And considering the fact that the lunch set meal is only 1100 yen, that was just the icing on the cake. The front counter was the quaint typical Japanese set up. With just 6 seats, I was fortunate enough that I arrived before every seat was taken. 



Actually kinda tasty



The first entre was a salad with sesame dressing. This is not something that I would expect from a sushi restaurant, but at least it provided the greens I need. And it was pretty good actually. The mushrooms provided a meaty texture while there were onion crispies that worked like croutons. It ended up being multidimensional. So I did not mind at all. As a counterbalance, a bowl of miso soup was served along this. 






The next entre was some sort of shellfish sashimi. I was not able to figure out what this really was but it was a bit similar to cooked squid or a large razor clam. The yuzu chutney on top gave it a vibrant and zesty kick. The sashimi itself was firm, juicy, and I liked it. 



Oh yes!



The finally came the main event, which was the sushi platter. With 6 nigiri pieces of the usual heavy hitters and 2 pieces of sushi roll, this was absolutely incredible. 1100 yen for all of this, and then some? This felt like a serious steal. The usual classics like tuna, egg, and squid hit the right notes and I enjoyed it alot. The unusual one would be the eggplant which had an interesting texture. It was a bit squishy but still held its shape. I was pretty surprised on how this well it turned out. I did not expect eel or sweet shrimp since this is just a 1100 yen platter. Even so, the value was incredible. 



Not dessert, but a great finisher.



The finale was a soft and silky steamed egg. This was quite nice and comforting. As the weather has become pretty cold as of late, this steamy treat really worked like a charm. The pieces of fish inside also provided extra seafoody flavours to the overall dish. Just delightful. And after a swig of green tea, I left a very satisfied man ready to take on the day. 



Front of the house


This proves to show that you could find good food if you look hard enough. And who knows if you get to find such a budget banger like this? So if you would like to give Masasho a try, which I hope you do, then the address is as follows:

2 Chome-3-2 Momochihama, Sawara Ward, Fukuoka, 814-0001




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings