Ramen @ Ichiran, Ichiran SouHonten, Hakata, Fukuoka

 





I think among some of the more requested posts from friends and a few readers, this is the one that is most requested. And since I am in one of the country's ramen hotbeds, it is just a matter of time. Today, I bring to you Ichiran! That's right folks, I am finally going to write about this place. 


Classic Ichiran dining layout



I was initially reluctant in writing this one as I am somewhat of a purist of ramen. I truly believe that great ramen usually comes from stand alone independent shops rather than a chain. I had good ramen from chains, do not get me wrong. However there is always something amiss and the proper ramen experience seems to come from these quaint outlets. Well, I am putting my prejudice aside and am always willing to give people chances. And since I am in the hometown of Ichiran, why not right? 


Welp! Now that was steep. 



When people say that this is the main outlet, they are not kidding. The establishment has 11 floors! However, due to the current global health crisis and in attempts to cultivate social distancing, only a few lower floors were open. Getting food here is relatively simple. As in most ramen shops, you pay via a ticket machine and pass it to the staff. And the standard bowl is 980 yen. Definitely one of the more steep bowls that I had in a long time. After that, you make your way to a designated cubicle. 


Options...options...



However, unlike most ramen shops, you have the option to customise your bowl any way you want by circling the option chit that is on your table. In the end, I just picked the recommended options. Since it is my first time, better trust the chef first. 


A cultural icon before me. Will it ramen though? 



The bowl came in a jiffy through a bamboo curtain. It was a pretty looking bowl and the spot of chilli sauce is a bit of an oddity, in a good way. Chilli powder or chilli sauce has always been a condiment in Japanese food but its only put on the side, where you can add it in when you feel like it. You can remove it by mentioning it in your option chit. 



Dense



So how was it? It was pretty good to be honest. The soup is full bodied and had a creamy texture. There is a back channeling of bacon fat aroma, which was a bit overpowering for me. The spring onions and the chilli sauce also gave some balance and kick at the same time.


Slurp...



 The noodles were firm and springy, which is to be expected. However, I was slightly disappointed with the charshu that came with it. it felt a little bland and probably needed more braising or soaking time in the marinade. Still, it was decent and it was good enough for me to clean the bowl. 


Cleared!



So my final thoughts? Overall, it was good and I enjoyed it. However, being called like the apex of ramen or the perfect bowl is a bit of a stretch. I had much better bowls during my travels around the country and also back home. So some people may be overselling it.


In the event you would want to add more mid-meal, here are the options located at the divider of your cubicle. 


 Don't get me wrong, I would probably visit a branch again, but more to deal with a sudden craving that making the effort just for ramen. Also, at least I can say I tried. So if you fancy a go, the address to the main branch of Ichiran is as follows:


5 Chome-3-2 Nakasu, Hakata Ward, Fukuoka, 810-0801



Front of the house. 


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings