Post No 400 !!! A good time to look back on...

 





Here we are, post no 400! This is pretty surreal how long this side hobby has lasted. Initially just seen as a way of just finding a creative outlet to keep my writing sharp, has ended up into something way more than that. Despite moving countries and even a pandemic, the blog seems to be going on strong. As such, I think this is a very good time to keep stock of what has happened and to look back at what has happened as of late. As there may be many readers who have not followed the blog from the very beginning, it may be a good idea to stroll down memory lane. 



Probably the guy that started it all.... and left it all up to me!



For some of you who are aware, the blog was never an idea of mine. Rather it was from a friend and former colleague Ivan, when I was still in Malaysia. And since 2017, I did my very best to be as consistent as possible. There were a few instances I was thinking of calling it a day. I have to admit that there were times when it was pretty hard to stay consistent, considering so many moving parts in my life as of late. The pandemic was difficult on everyone and I am no exception. And to be moving countries and working in Japan, added more challenges than I thought. However, it gave me more opportunities as well. 



What a view of the city!



One of which is to be based in Fukuoka. Who knew a brief one-year stint has ended up being a life-altering one? I initially thought that my time would probably end in September 2021. It has now ended up being for 2.5 years and counting. But overall, I have zero regrets at all. Not only that it is one of the better food cities in Japan, there are not many gourmet bloggers based in Fukuoka, or Kyushu in fact that write it in English. This gave me an interesting platform to infiltrate as most of such writers are based in Tokyo or the Kansai area. 



The small alleyways in Hakata never fail to impress. 



Being here has given me the chance to have many interesting food adventures that may originally be out of the radar. There are so many local specialties like mantaiko, motsunabe, tonkotsu ramen, and just a bevy of very indulgent treats that makes each food hunt an interesting one. But of course, I do not just focus on Fukuoka and the Kyushu region. I still find Tokyo pretty exciting and do visit the metropolis from time to time for work and fun. However, I would seriously try to see if I can make a trip to Hokkaido. It was my first Japanese destination back in 2013. At the time I cannot speak the language and I was supported by a tour guide. Now 10 years have passed, I would like to see what has changed. And doing it on my own. 



Any place better than Malacca? Few and far in between. 




Well, being in Japan is not the be-all and end-all. Malaysia is still an amazing food destination and I would like to go home as often as I can. But flight tickets are still pretty pricey and they probably would not return to pre-pandemic prices any time soon. Hopefully, flights would be more accessible, and more internationally-based articles will be something more of a common occurrence again instead of just 2 countries, despite how much I love them. As for what is there in the future, who knows what is there in store? It has been over 5 years now, and since I am this deep I have no intention of stopping. There is more food to be had, more trips to be taken, and more stories to tell. And looking back, I would not change a thing. So thank you all who have been following me and my story here. A special shout out to the ones who have followed since the very beginning since day one. Thank you all, and in the meantime happy eating!



Thank you all and happy eatings!








Comments

Weekly Top Rankings