Taco Lunch @ Gamba, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka

 



This one took a bit of effort in getting to. But honestly speaking, the effort in getting there is worth it. And if you like handheld palm-sized foodstuff that takes spiciness seriously, then this is your go-to place. 



Welcome!


Gamba is a Mexican-inspired standing bar that is slightly off the beaten track. It is still within the city limits. However, it's closer to the bay area which is not normally known for food spots. After further inspection, I was quite surprised at the number of food spots around this part of Fukuoka city. Then again I should not be so surprised. This is a city that takes food seriously after all. 



Tacos it is!



I seriously needed something spicy during this particular weekend afternoon. I initially thought of getting my usual Thai, since I was pretty nearby. But as I had not written about Mexican food for a while, why not kill two birds with one stone? And after a brief search around online, I ended up in Gamba. 



Here we are! The grill not to far behind.



Since it was my first time there, it would just make sense to have a little taste of everything. As such, the taco platter just made common sense. I then selected brisket, carne asada or steak, and beans and chorizo. The shrimp looked really tempting but unfortunately, they sold out. The whole platter stood at a modest 1170 yen. What a serious steal. And considering how tasty everything turned out, I felt like I hit the jackpot. 



Well deserved close up



Everything looks so appetizing and inviting. With various colours and textures everywhere, the tacos were just begging to be chowed upon. The first one I took down was the beans and chorizo. It was hearty, sweet and very savoury. 



Glorious


Topped with chopped onions and a nice serving of coriander, and you get something refreshing and earthy at the same time. The great contrasts worked well. And binding it all together was the tortilla that held on strong but still soft and delectable. It had a nutty profile and I liked how everything worked. Just amazing. 



You cannot go wrong with steak. 


The steak was pretty good too. This was less complicated in terms of flavour. It is just steak after all. But it was expertly grilled, leaving with a slightly charred after-tone. A good helping of green salsa gave it a fruity kick which I really enjoy. The meat was chewy and tender, playing off well the texture of the tortilla wrap. Another enjoyable morsel. 



This was great! Wolfed it down too quicky. 


The brisket was the star maker to me, a coup de grace to my senses. The shredded beef was just melted in your mouth and had so much complex and earthy flavours going on. It had that classical Mexican profile that is for sure. With some chopped onions and tomatoes, and you get something really special. In the end, it was a pretty satisfying meal. 



Special mention to their home made hot sauce. This was fiery!


It should be noted that the service was a bit slow but it was manned by one guy only. And the grill is facing towards you. So unless you do not have the patience and you rather not smell like your meal after leaving, then you may want to consider going elsewhere. But these are minor gripes. The tacos are that good, and with that ungodly price, I would definitely come again. And if you would like to join me for that second round, then the address to the place is as follows:

2 Chome-3-17 Minato, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka, 810-0075



Front of the house. 


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings