Aburasoba @ Aburasoba Shichiiro, Maizaru, Fukuoka

 




With the weather really cranking up the heat, it is sometimes better to have things that are less steamy or not filled with hot soup. But what happens if you need that noodle fix? Dipping noodles like tsukemen and cold soba is fine. But what if you need a hearty and punchy bowl of ramen? Then aburasoba will be that answer to your prayers. Aburasoba (油そば), literally translated to oily noodles, is similar to the common Malaysian "kon loh mee" or oily noodles from China. In fact, it is a closely related cousin. However, what sets it apart is the execution. And Aburasoba Shichiiro (油そば 七色) serves such a delicacy. This is a small but surprisingly fancy-looking ramen joint located in the Maizaru area, close to Akasaka station which I only discovered by accident. Accident meaning, I was crossing the street and the words 油そば was at their doorstep. 



Checkpoint 1



Like most ramen places, you need to get your meal ticket via a vending machine. There are a few other noodle varieties to choose from. But mainly, people go for the aburasoba. Well, the name is at the door so it's quite obvious. I got myself the normal-sized portion, which stood for a modest 830 yen. Once a seat is made available, I scoot myself in and placed the ticket by the counter. 15 to 20 minutes later, my bowl arrived. Yeah, it was a bit long as this establishment is being operated by a one-man gang. One guy does all the cooking, cleaning and prep. What gives? 



Such beauty



Despite that, the end result was worth the wait. The bowl looks glorious at the get-go already. With a generous chunk of toasty roast pork, loads of scallions, fried onion chips, and pickled bamboo, and a beautiful boiled egg, this sent chills into my heart. I slowly devoured the toppings before I hit the noodles. The roast pork was something else. 



Toasty



Unlike your usual charshu, it was more like a chunk of braised belly and then charred with a blowtorch I can attest this to be true, as I heard a blowtorch ripping right before my meal came. The egg was well executed and had the classic sweet and salty profile that you need. 


Unobstructed view


Once the upper layer was cleared, I started to excavate the noodles. As this is of course, oily noodles, you would need to mix the oil and other seasonings well, which usually sits at the bottom before going in. After a good mixing, in for the kill I did. The noodles were extremely aromatic, which powerful hits of sesame, garlic and pork fat enveloping the strands of each noodle. If you mix it well with the scallions, then the pungency and freshness of the scallion threads will then somehow compliment the overall experience. This was a very strong flavoured dish and I really liked it. However, if you want to pump up the volume, there are flavoured chilli powder and also anchovy powder if you so choose. There are other condiments like soy sauce and sesame oil too. 



Pick your poison. 



I did that for a second visit, and I have to say it makes the bowl even more intense and punchy. The chilli really help give off an extra edge to the noodles, and the anchovy powder adds a depth of personality and savouriness. However, those condiments are not necessary as the bowl in its original form is already perfect as it is. Literal perfection. 



The end result, everytime. 



This was gravely satisfying and is a place I strongly recommend. However, as mentioned, only one guy is behind the counter. So unless you come very early, be prepared to wait a bit longer for your noodles. Still, do not let that deter you from coming over. Fancy a go? Then the address is as follows:


2 Chome-1-9 Maizuru, Chuo Ward, 福岡市中央区 Fukuoka 810-0073


Front of the house. 







Comments

Weekly Top Rankings