Something Different : Miyashita Christmas Park in Shibuya

 



Christmas is just around the corner, and the streets are becoming more festive. So it is no surprise that Japan follows suit. Christmas markets and decorations are slowly but surely mushrooming around the country and Tokyo is no exception. 



Hello, sunshine!


So which is why during one of my recent trips there, I decided to go to one. And as I have not visited the Shibuya area for quite some time, I decided to see what is happening over there and visited the Miyashita Park Christmas pop-up market. 



Oh, a merry go round!


Dubbed Miyashita Christmas Park, the rooftop garden boasts food trucks, a merry go round and also a playpen. This is on top of the fact that it also has a preexisting skating area, a small rock climbing wall, and a sandpit. Pretty impressive for a rooftop garden this size. 



Time to order up!


In terms of the food trucks, there are several to choose from. From burgers, roasts, fried treats, and even candied fruit, there is something for everyone. I ended up ordering a cajun pork sandwich which came in at a modest 700 yen.  And that was my first port of call. 



This was really tasty. 

The sandwich was a simple but complete package of everything tasty. The grilled pork was well spiced and the flavour had great body. Being freshly grilled was great too as anything warm is greatly welcomed under the current weather. The salad gave it some freshness and the bun that held it all together was soft to the touch. A bit simple, but it was simply done well. 



Second truck of the day. 



Needing more to keep me full and also warm, the truck next door sells French onion soup, which I easily obliged myself to. The soup was rich and flavourful and came with a topping of cheesy and gooey bread on top. 



Comfort. 


And when I say it was hot, it was indeed very hot! Steam just keeps coming off the cup of hot soup, making eating a bit of a hassle. But at least my pores are exfoliated! That great cup of soup stood at a mere 500 yen and kept me going till later in the day. This food truck sells other various goodies too if you so fancy. 



A decent menu to be honest. 


There are treats I would want to try but I blew most of my pocket money on shopping beforehand. Still, I was pretty satisfied with this al fresco lunch. Also, you get a merry-go-round ticket for every 500 yen spent! Although it sounds like a good deal, the size of the ride seems to be more suitable for ages 5 and under. Great fun for kids though. 



Thanks but no thanks, sorry. 



The Christmas market is still up and its final day is fixed on the 25th of December, Christmas day proper. So if you would like a light meal while enjoying the sun, or like to have some festive cheer in the middle of Tokyo's urban sprawl, then head on to Miyashita Park. It is easily accessible via main railway lines and it is a 10-minute walk from Shibuya Station 



A promo poster for the event. Get here before its too late!







Comments

Weekly Top Rankings