Roti Canai @ Roti Canai Transfer Road, Jalan Transfer, George Town.

 



The island is loaded with famous breakfast options, where almost anything can be breakfast, like noodles and certain rice dishes to name a few. But a few places come to mind right at the get go, which is the Malaysian classic, roti canai. And that is roti canai where Roti Canai Transfer Road is one such establishment.


Now this is street food. 



Its a no frills road side stall, serving patrons in its humble dining area, stretching alongside the street. Now talk about street food in a literal sense. They serve a variety of mamak style dishes but its name sake is roti, so why not right? Firstly, it should be noted that unlike most mamaks where the curry that comes is just a gravy that flavour the flatbread, it comes as a dish instead to eat with your flatbread. With that in mind, I had the chicken, where its portions caught me by surprise. 


Huge!



Rather than just a splatter on my breakfast, what came forth was an entire chicken leg, resting on its chewy carb companion, piping hot and ready for the munch down. It was an interesting take on the classic breakfast for me. And it has been a very long time since I had roti like this. Due to logistic difficulties, I had the chicken first. 


Clean off the bone, just like that!



It was spicy and flavourful. You an tell that there was some aromatic spices used but not too much. Rather it had a deep and earthy feel to it. I cannot put my thumb on it, but all I can say it doesn't have alot of masala and cinnamon in it. The chicken was tender and easily tore off the bone. Being extremely juicy, eating this with little resistance was quite fun actually. A bit of a challenge but fun nontheless. 


A little goopy I suppose. 



The roti was very different than what I usually had. Well it tasted like roti, but it feels more dense and cakey. I feel it resembled closed to naan or chapati, only more tender and chewy than their much tougher counterpart. Still, flavourwise was great and you can taste the ghee that was in the flatbread. 


Kopi tarik, in the house!


As a sidekick, I had a cup of coffee. It was surprisingly strong for mamak standards and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Overall, I think this was a good meal and the roti and chicken stood at RM9, which is not too bad especially when you count the chicken. The coffee was RM1.30. However, was it worth the hype? I am not sure. But I think this place is worth it to try at least once. Do note that I was there relatively early on a weekday so there was no line to speak off. But if you are here for the weekend, be prepared to wait in line. 

Fancy a go? The address is as follows:


14, 110, Jalan Transfer,  10050 George Town,

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings