Thai Dinner @ Boran Classic Thai Street Food , SS 14, Subang Jaya





Note: this establishment was visited before the MCO took place. 

Hello everyone. Sorry for the brief hiatus. I had some health problems that put me out of commission for a couple of weeks and had some family matters to attend to. Everything seems to be slowly getting back to normal, as normal as things can be in light of current circumstances. And so will be the writing. 

Similar to my intention in my previous post on KTZ, I felt inclined to write about another amazing establishment located within the Subang Jaya area so that I can give readers something to look forward to once travel limitations and social distancing are things of the past. Another reason is that this place, Boran, is one of my favourite Thai spots and they do delivery! So if you would like to try some of their grub why not read on? 

Sneak peek inside




It was on one of my days off work and my father asked me what was for dinner. As my mom had a ladies night out and my friends had other plans for that night, I decided to bring my old man to a local hot spot that we did not visit for a long while. And when I mean hot spot, I really mean it. Basic, honest, and down right delicious, Boran has been a favourite with the Subang locals and beyond. Their wares are simple but spectacular Thai dishes being served street food style. The decor has a retro vibe to it, with 70s style posters everywhere and wooden furniture. And the overall atmosphere is quite inviting. And the best part is, this place serves their awesome food at really affordable prices. 


Instant classic!

So what do they serve? The usual suspects for starters would be their fish cakes and grilled pork skewers, both I thoroughly enjoy. The fish cake was supple and spicy. It had a smoky kick to it and yet is not too spicy . Well seasoned and with a hint of seafood sweetness, this was perfect from beginning to end. 

Yes!




If you like something more greasy, then the pork skewers are for you. Fatty and succulent, the skewers were marinated in a sweet soy glaze, similar to a teriyaki sauce. But of course, it has more savouriness to it, due to the use of fish sauce. Both were excellent to be eaten on their own or as sides to go with rice. 


Magical!



Speaking of rice, this place serves up rice set meals at the cheap. Each set comes with a main dish, rice, a fried egg and some of them comes with a bowl of their famous green curry. Needing more porky goodness, I had the fried pork belly rice set, while my father had the green curry set.  Needless to say, both of them were amazing. The fried pork was akin to siew yoke or a piece of roast pork from the pub. Crispy, slightly salty and delectable, it was a very sinful experience. Thank god for the rice as it was able to absorb some of the fat. It came with a side of that great green curry too. And it was a welcome condiment. 


Double trouble 

How about the green curry rice itself? My father certainly enjoyed it, and I did too. There were generous chunks of chicken and the curry was quite spicy. Do not worry, this is not some dragon's nectar you are playing with. But a silky, aromatic and extremely fragrant concoction. 

Creamy!



Everything seems to balance well and went down with the rice very well. For that set however, you get an omelette instead of the standard sunny side I got. Well I am not complaining. 



Ramen can wait for another day...



If you are not into rice, then their trademark noodles in tom yum should sort you out pretty nicely. In a even earlier visit, I had a bowl of this hearty spice bomb. And it was what a bowl of tom yum noodles should taste like. Pungent, spicy, strong, sour and with a hint of sweetness, it was a flavour blitzkrieg. This was thoroughly enjoyable and would be perfect during a cold rainy day. Not to mentioned it was loaded with minced pork, meatballs, pork strips and mushrooms! Very very hearty. 


The best....



How about desserts? They have a wide variety too. But as we are already quite stuffed, we ordered the red ruby and the tago, which is a water chestnut pudding. Both were satisfying and as they were cold, was able to push down the temperature a bit after the chilli fest we just had. 



Frosty 





As mentioned above, this is a local establishment I cannot recommend enough. The quality is phenomenal and even more phenomenal is the price. The fish cakes and skewers were for RM7.90 and RM9.90 respectively. As for the mains, both rice sets were for RM13.90 and the bowl of tom yum noodles was for RM 7.90. The red ruby was for RM5.90 and the tago was the ultimate steal, at just RM2.90. 


Front of the house


So if you fancy giving them ago, why not drop by over? Although the atmosphere is part of the fun,they still do takeaways right now. And I am all about supporting the local haunts, so at this current situation, I think having a hot and spicy meal would be a blessing already. And if that has already made you to decide where you are going to get your next lunch, then the address is as follows:

25, Jalan SS 14/1, Ss 14, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor



Comments

Weekly Top Rankings