Or Chien @ Bunga Raya Or Chien, Bunga Raya, Malacca.



Having a history of excellence is usually a good sign of good things to come. If you have a good track record before, it will probably translate to the same right? Well, it is true for some instances. Key word is "some".

Fry...fry ...fry...


I remembered the time when it was a battle to get that gorgeous or chien down in Bunga Raya, Malacca. Cars will park by the roadside, clogging traffic and people lining up just to get their pack of that late night chow down. I was one of them. The stall still stands as the second generation took over and it has been years, easily a decade since I had any of that oyster omelette. So my brother and I went down there again not long ago, for old time sake. There was still a crowd there, but not as busy as it used to be. One thing stayed the same though, that smoky environment, that greasy perfume and that sizzling hot pan out in the open.



A makeshift diner from another's property



There is no space to properly eat at the premises, so you would have to make do by taking a tapao and eating it at the coffee shop next door. The owners of the coffee shop is alright with that, provided you order a drink. I got a can of Pepsi.  Like most good food places, patience is a virtue. So after about a 30 minute wait, our order is packed and ready to go. I got to say the aroma was great. There was that wok hei caramelisation smell and the aroma of roasted chillies was indeed intoxicating. Did the fun stop there? Unfortunately, it did.

Errr.....


Once the packet was opened, it was like a splatter of roadkill. I know or chien is not the most eye catching dish in the world. But then again, it is obvious there is too much batter in the mix and parts of the omelette was somewhat overcooked, or even burnt.

Way too small. I had to place my camera really close for this. 


Still undeterred, my inner child went for the kill. Flavour-wise, it was decent. There is some wok hei and the chillies stand out. It was decently seasoned and there is some kickback of pork lard in the mix of it all. The texture however, is too chewy for my liking. It was like I was having a chopped mochi rather than or chien. That in itself is a big let down. The  oysters are also just meh. They were small and actually does not add any dimension to the dish. In the end, it was more like having rice flour stir fried egg dish rather than the legendary oyster omelette it used to be.

A new batch coming through


I still enjoyed it somewhat, as it brought back some great memories. And flavour-wise, its still ok. But then being at RM8 a pop for a small size and RM 12 for large.  It is a real shame indeed, as this hawker delight was one of the main pillars of Malaccan street food. Yet, people still come and I probably would come again. But solely on my own volition? Probably not. If you would like to drop by for a visit however, the address is as follows:

Medan Makan Boon Leong
70, Jalan Bunga Raya, Kampung Jawa, 75100 Melaka

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings