Food Market Tour @ Spice Market, Istanbul, Turkey





Being the central point of most of commerce back in the ancient days of the Ottoman, the Grand Bazaar stills holds its reputation as a shopping and trade hub. Jam packed with shops that sells almost everything, like shoes to gold ingots, you will be spellbound by the dizzying array of things to look at, and probably buy. 

The front of gate 7, one of the many entrances. 


But if you are hungry, then what should you do? The Bazaar is surrounded with great food options and produce stores at its perimeters. Note that the word I use is surrounded. There are shops that sell edible items like candy and tea. 

Does this remind you of Assassin's Creed? 


But if you want a snack or a full on meal, you would have to venture outside the markets. This is again due to the fact that the market was, and still is a point of commerce and not produce. Yet, look no further as the Egyptian Spice Market is just not far away.

The entrance of the Spice Market. 


Simply called the Spice Market, it was previously built for Egyptian traders to sell produce and groceries. Its inside is slight similar to the Bazaar but the outer market is a proper food market selling everyday items like fish and cheese, and houses many cafes and restaurants. And this is where we shall start out eating journey. And nothing is more Turkish than lokum aka, the Turkish Delight. 

Hansel and Gretel's wet dream


There are many sweet shops established around the area. The one that caught my attention was Sukru Efendi. Located at the rear entrance of the Bazaar and the Spice Market, this was an amazing find recommended by my brother who was with us. 

Sugar Mountain!


The types of confectioneries was just outstanding. From mint, pistachios, and even pomegranate infused lokum, to coated nuts, chocolates and flavoured teas, this place will sort out your sweet tooth easily. And everything is ridiculously cheap. How cheap? How about TL 10 for a kilo of lokum cheap? And feel free to have a sample, the staff do not mind at all if you pick up a pice from the sugar mountain in front of the store. 

Heavy!


Each flavour was something I liked. Although I particularly enjoyed the pomegranate the most, the mint was decent too and the pistachios were coated with coconut.  I really could not pick a specific one, and in the end went for a mixed combo of a kilo of lokum. Candy sorted. 


Look at that colour!

If sweet stuff isn't your thing, do not underestimate the nuts and dried food selection. If I had the budget, I would have gotten myself a few kilos of mixed nuts. My parents did get a kilo of walnuts though. An they were clean, woody and crunchy. Like what walnuts need to taste like. Really good stuff. And the tea collection looked lovely and sophisticated. Pricey though. 


Creamy!

After that sugar rush, something savoury has to come through to create some balance. And the cheese shop next store was kind enough to have a taste of their cottage cheese. It was a generous sliver as well. It was milky, crumbly, and just delectable. 

Just a real shame I cannot bring a block home. 


If customs was not such a pain, I would have bought a block already. It was just too good. If I had it on some salad or a bagel to have it with, I would have been a happy man. 


The sugar rush continues. 


Not saying that I did not in the end, as the sugar rush continued. A baklava store called Osmanlıoğlunot far away was selling was selling halka. What is it exactly? Imagine a churros marrying a jalebi and they have children. Yup. That is what a halka is.

Sickly sweet. 


It was crunchy, oily, dripping with an immense amount of sugar syrup and would go well with some bitter coffee. The best part was it was just TL 1 for a piece. And that is not all, as the front of the store was loaded with glittery baklava and other sweets.  But if you are a diabetic, as my previous Turkish food post have suggested, prepare for a mighty long fall.  


There is still the ol' faithful bagel. They look great though. 

However, if you are an indeed a diabetic and yet you want to try something from this amazing store, there is still sesame and poppy coated simit to gobble on. They do look glorious though. Well, street snacks and sweets do not exactly equal to a proper food tour, so lunch is in order. 

Lunch time


Tucked in slightly deeper was something more substantial. Being Turkey, kebab once again rears its head. I ended up in Pasam Doner and had a beef doner sandwich. It was a very substantial meal.

A wild potato chip appears!


 The bread is much bigger than your usual Subway foot long and the beef was simple but tasty. The store had a spice mix that had chilli flakes and by adding it in, gave this simple morsel a great kick and a smoky flavour. Also there was a random french fry in it. Well, lucky me!


Front of the house. 

The staff was very friendly too. Being very early, like about 12 pm, the lunch crowd was not there yet. So I was pretty lucky to have a seat. But after having my sandwich, the crowd started forming. Better to get a move on. 



Still having space for something extra, I finally settled for a  a berliner here. The outer part was dusted with icing sugar and a vanilla cream center makes it a delectable morsel. Costing TL6, this was great for the price.  And it goes well with some bitter Turkish tea. Dunkin has some serious competition here. 


Gurmania, the cafe I had the doughnut. 


This sweet delight was funnily enough, the least sweet confection I had. Which is good.  Looking at the sugar I had within this hour, my doctor would not be too pleased. But oh well, the gym will still be open when I head home. 

The inner market of the Spice Market. 


There is still alot that the outskirts of the Bazaar and the Egyptian Spice Market has to offer. But lacking in stomach space and time, well mostly time, I had to put an end to the eating escapade. If I were to come back to Istanbul, rest assured that the eating will definitely continue. Thank you Turkey. You have treated me well. 



Comments

  1. Last time when I travelled to istanbul, I tried many yummy food with Yummyadvisor's help. I strongly recommend this website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Weekly Top Rankings