"Sandwiches" @ Liang Sandwich Bar, Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur




Is celebrity endorsement the best way in succeeding in the food biz? I am not too sure, but it does generate some buzz. And since there is a branch now located near my house, I think it will be more apt if I actually visited one of their flagship outlets in Pavilion food court.

That logo though


Liang Sandwich Bar is a take on the Taiwanese onion crepe and made it into a taco. Well, not exactly a sandwich, but there is carbs between fillings so I guess that counts right? And of course it is endorsed by Jay Chou. His face is everywhere and the trademark sandwich is called no other than "Jay Chou's Favourite". 

Wait, there is an actual name and not called "Jay Chou's favourite?"


Oh wait a minute, its actually called Liang's Chicken, but its hard to see when the original name is so small compared to the "blast out loud" subtitles. In addition to that, I ordered the sambal sandwich, just curious as to how they will take a local specialty and meld it into their product. The onion crepes were made fresh. 

Ok, this looks decent. 


And when I mean fresh, its some frozen dough then being splattered on an iron pan. I was thinking that my eyes were deceiving me when I saw roti canai being used when they were prepping my dinner. However, I thought it would be unwise to judge this early.

And after a short wait my sandwiches are done. And what was the verdict? 


The chicken actually tasted good. Everything was meh. 


The chicken filling was actually alright. With some soy based marinade with some smokiness, it was something that I surprisingly enjoyed. However, that was the only thing I truly enjoyed. The veggies are ok, but you cannot go wrong with raw lettuce right? The one that takes the cake was the taco wrapping, aka the onion crepe. After further inspection and a few more bites, they were indeed roti canai. I seriously kid you not. And if it is truly roti canai, it would be the most expensive roti canai I had at RM 9.90 a pop. 

OK, it may not be too fair to make that earlier judgment as there was some chicken involved. But this was not how I remembered onion crepes, scallion pancakes or what ever it is called, taste like. 

The sambal version did not change my position. In fact, it validates it, seeing that sambal is a common condiment to roti. And this was RM7.90 a pop. It was sort of pitiful that I did not even take a photo of it. 

It does look like roti right? 


Well, maybe I should not expect too much out of this place. Although if I have nothing to base upon, the product is somewhat decent, but a bit pricey. If it was a bit more affordable, I may have a different opinion.I have no ill feelings against the place, nor the man in front of the poster. But lets just say I would not on my own volition order this for the second time. 

Another shot of the outlet I visited. 



However, if you like your roti canai with a side of celebrity endorsement, there are many branches popping out. But if you wanna try the branch I went to, the address is as follows:

 Level 1 Pavilion Kuala Lumpur Shopping Mall, 165, 
Jalan Bukit Bintang, Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings