Takoyaki @ Kukuru, Tokyu Hands Food Show, Shibuya, Tokyo




I am a real fan of takoyaki, and many who know me well very well know its one of my favourite lunch items. If there is a special promo by Gindaco, chances are I would be the one telling everyone else. 

A bright afternoon in Shibuya. 


So needing to scratch my octopus ball itch after some last souvenier shopping in Shibuya, I decided to look into Google and search "takoyaki around me", which brought out about 7 Gindaco joints. I was like "seriously"?  

Front of the stall of Kukuru. Note the flying octopus. 

I love Gindaco, and I had a good amount of it last year in this city and also back home. However, as I can get Gindaco already, I was really looking forward into getting something else. Luckily, the Tokyu Hands Food Show was not far from where I was standing and its still within the bustling urban hub that is Shibuya.

In the end, I landed in front of Kukuru. With the grill on high and people lining up, things look like its about to be delicious. 


Grilling away!


Located at the basement of the gigantic department store Tokyu Hands and located within the vicinity of Shibuya station, the Food Show food court is a gastronomer's flea market. You can get good food at good prices and in fact, I had lunch a few times here when I am on a budget trim. You can get premium stuff here as well such as wagyu beef sandwiches and Italian pastries. But what I am here for this time is the octopus.


Waiting for my order. 


Kukuru is a famous takoyaki shop where their home base is in Osaka, and being so, they plate up Kansai style octopus balls.  What is the difference you ask? Kansai style balls are made with stock and not just plain water with some flour, which is what the Tokyo style, or more accurately, Kanto style takoyaki are made of. 


Before the unboxing

Some may prefer the Tokyo style types, which is what Gindaco serves. I definitely do enjoy them, with the crispy crust being like a shell to protect the savoury batter from bursting out and protecting that chewy seafood core. Well, the ones from Kukuru are a bit different. They of course are still takoyaki. The outer layer feels more like a wanton skin and the insides were more fluid. They are more fluffy than their Tokyo counterparts too, as they have more liquid in them. 


Stupendous! 

And because it is stock instead of plain water, the flavour was more in-your-face than just the standard ones you have. The whole thing felt like a soup train, and felt more like a contained packed of soupy lava, rather than the bursting broth of a xiao long pao. And the sauce was superb, which hit the right notes of saltiness and sweetness. A great balancing act. 

A well deserved close up. 


Yet, the flavours are still familiar. Bonito will still be bonito. Seaweed shavings are a familiar comfort. And of course Japanese mayonnaise is a condiment that is now global. If Kewpie has a job vacancy as a food taster let me know!



As this is a food court, there are eating places for you to chow down. Just note the chairs, or lack thereof. 

Overall, this was a great find in a food court. Mall food courts are unlikely spots where you can find gourmet stuff. This is not the case in Japan, where as far as I have experienced, every food court has been great. And Tokyu Hands Food Show is one of them. If you are not in Shibuya, I recommend going to the food court in Isetan, Shinjuku or Mitsukoshi, Ginza. However, if you are keen in visiting the Food Show, no directions is necessary. Just pop out of Shibuya Station and you would probably find it not far away!



Comments

Weekly Top Rankings