Curry Rice @ Kamen Rider the Diner, Ikebukuro, Tokyo





You know the feeling when you are really looking forward to eating at this place, then when you made extended effort in finding it and in the end did not live up to your expectations? Yeap, this is one of those places. 

Entrance to the entrance.

By now everyone knows I am a fan of Japanese pop culture. As such Kamen Rder the Diner was one thing on my checklist this time, as I was not able to visit it the previous year. The Diner is located in the fourth floor of a Pasela Resort, so it took some time to find the place. The reception will then if you have made a reservation, and if not to come back at a different time slot. I did not expect to enter into a Michelin establishment. But since I am already here, I decided to wait for 15 minutes before going in. The staff the directed to a lift which goes to the Diner.

The ominous looking chair



The place made a fun first impression with Kamen Rider posters and toys being displayed alongside autograph of actors from the series. And there is the Great Leader's chair in the center of the dining hall which impressive. The Diner was also playing soundtracks form the series, mainly from Kamen Rider Blade and Kamen Rider Kiva, as they had some of the better OST albums out there for the series. So as a fan I am starting to feel like I will have a good time.

My otoshi that I did not order. Who in the right mind orders for otoshi anyway?


Well good times do not last and it lasted shorter than expected when I discovered that there is an entry charge of  ¥500. Since I have already sat down, I think I will just stay put. You cannot argue on seating charges in Japan, as most places practice it. It is called "otoshi" and I have covered it and other Japanese oddities within their drinking culture here. They did give me a coaster, a dipping saucer and some fruit flavoured popcorn. And when I mean some, it was about a shotglass full. 


Another angle of the dining area

With already ¥500 down at the financial department, ordering became a little difficult as I had to follow to a strict budget. And it was a challenge. I mean, ¥600 for a stack of onion rings? I think that is a bit too much. The mixed grill looked impressive but it was almost ¥3000. So yea, the food here is quite steep. That is the premium you have to pay for the fan service I guess. On and you order via a tablet and not getting a waiting staff to attend to you. So in the end I got myself a bowl of curry rice inspired by Kamen Rider Kuuga. 


So this is it?


The curry itself was quite good. It has a strong turmeric kick and maybe a hint of paprika. But I felt that they were stingy with the ingredients, as there wasn't much chicken inside. There were some slivers of potatoes. When was the last time someone described quantity for a spud with "slivers"? Probably never. And it was ¥880 for that serving. Its ok, but there are better and cheaper alternatives out there. Plus it looked like it came out straight from a packet. 

Transformation belts, the trademark of the show. 


After that meal, one of course must look around at the exhibits in store. And there is an impressive array of items that decorate the premises. 


props and toys from Ryuki


Loaded to the brim with toys, prop weapons and even prop kits used in the series, this would be a tokusatsu fan's dream come true. The displays range from the classic Showa era Riders to the current ones. Some of the actors also placed their autographs next to the prop kits that they used. The collections are indeed impressive. But if you just wanna view and appreciate the artwork and the plastic models, Akihabara and Nakano Broadway a much better options. 



Belts and weapons from my favourite series: Kamen Rider Blade



So after some photo taking, I decided to take my leave. Honestly speaking, the place is alright. If you are a die hard fan, you would enjoy yourself here and the seating charge and the steep food prices can be seen as a token of appreciation for the people responsible in taking care of the Diner. And I did like the premise and the concept. 


Signatures from the actors. 


I would warn anyone who are curious about the place and probably advise them to give a second thought. After the difficulty in finding the place, then inadvertently booking a seat, paying the cover charge and just to have a meal, you a better off getting a better meal elsewhere. As I mention, this is more of a fan only sort of arrangement. So I have mixed feelings about this on.



The sign up top. 


Nonetheless, if you are a fan since Kamen Rider Ichigo, a Heisei fan or a curious onlooker, the address is as follows:

1-21-9 Nishiikebukuro, Toshima, Tokyo 

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings