Hambagu Lunch @ Cafe Sun Fukaya, Tenjin, Fukuoka

 




There is nothing like kissaten lunch during the middle of a weekday to get you going. Or at least getting you full enough so you stay sane before 6pm hits and you need to fight through the evening commute. Be that as if may, if you are a struggling salary man or just some guy on the street that needs a good meal to keep you going, and great coffee alongside it, then I have just the place located within Shintencho Shopping Street. 



Old faithful



Cafe Sun Fukaya has been around the block for decades and they have been serving great coffee and meals since forever. I have been here from time to time for their breakfast sets and occasional lunch and have been left satisfied many times. I even brought my parents once back in 2023 for their first trip around Kyushu. But this time I would like to introduce to you one of my favourite things from this place. And you guessed it, its the hambagu. 



Off to a good start




Despite being a more humble meal option compared to many places, the cousin of the Salisbury steak can actually be pretty incredible if done right and under the right hands. While waiting for those hands to get to work, I was given some starters in the form of a salad and some soup. the salad was pretty average, with some veggies slathered on with some sesame mayo. The soup however, was very nice. It was a clear chicken and vegetable soup that was pretty soothing and I could actually order this as it is if it was an option. 



Oh yes!



Then came the big guns. The hambagu was thick and dense, shining thanks to the ponzu sauce that has been glazed on to of it. Topped with some grated daikon and sprouts, you are left with an incredible sight to behold. But this is not just about looks too. The patty was chewy and dense, but at the same time had some give similar to a high quality meatball. Some argue that it is a meatball, but I digress. 



Glorious



The fatty and savoury meat clashes well with the salty and sweet ponzu. I am sure there is more than just meat in this mixture, with hints of onions inside. I would not be surprised if there were some as it is a common filling. The overall hambagu can be a bit intense as it is. But when you pair it with some hot white rice you get a serious winner. 



Black beauty


Speaking of intense, this lunch comes with a drink. Being a cafe, it just makes sense to get their ice coffee, since we ae still in the middle of the summer. The flavour of this was also pretty astounding, with deep floral and nutty notes without the acidity. Not to mention the buzz I got from this, it gave me an additional pep to my step and was roaring back to work. Now that is a serious pick me up. 



Another angle. You cannot miss it. 



Standing at a modest 1320 yen, you will get some serious back from your buck. If you are in the area and you want to avoid chain coffee shops and the generic cafes, this place has got you covered. Well, as far as I know, I might come again for lunch next week! The address is as follows:


2 Chome-8-216 Tenjin, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka, 810-0001

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings