Sandwiches @ The Sandwich Stand, Yakuin, Fukuoka

 





Sandwiches in Japan have always been some form of a paradox. Sure we have great representation in the convenience store, and I do partake in some egg and tuna sandwiches. Sadly, sandwich places themselves do not get the same attention often. It should be noted many bakeries do sell sandwiches but those are placed as a side attraction. So now, here is a place that should be worth your reckoning. 



Fancy



Literally called The Sandwich Stand, it is actually a cafe that sells special treats between some bread. They have classic slices like any respectable sandwich place. However, they do have croissant, dinner rolls and other forms of bread that make up the bulk of their roster. 


At the ready. The coffee is not far behind.  


My first pick was the croissant pastrami with cheese looked like an absolute stunner which stood at 464 yen. And in an attempt in trying something that is a bit more interesting, I got the grilled apples. That was for 421 yen. To round things off I got myself an iced coffee to which unfortunately cannot remember how much it was. However, this is not just a simple pick your sandwich and you are on your way. If you are dining indoors, the staff can reheat your selection before your chowdown which is greatly appreciated. Honestly this helped a alot. 




Look at the layers. 


Thanks to the extra heat, the croissant became crunchy and more airy. And the filling was definitely more palatable. Not to say the inside was not. The pastrami was really good and I like the combination of salty and savoury being held by that buttery exterior. Even eating it at room temperature would have been acceptable, as the fillings were pretty high quality and I would still enjoyed it. Then again, you can never go wrong with pastrami and cheese. Combined that with a warm croissant, and you got yourself a winner. 



Ok, this was pretty awesome




To counteract this, the apple sandwich was the great balancing act. The bun was a raisin but with some weight to it and underneath it all is actually cream cheese! The creamy cheese filling gave the overall sandwich a cakelike experience, and provided some saltiness to the overall bite. The grilled apples reminded me something from an apple crumble while still being somewhat sturdy throughout. This is definitely not your typical cream and fruit sandwich you get in the supermarket. 



Refreshing!



The coffee was also quite nice, being a good palate cleanser for the sandwiches. It was a bit fruity and acidic. Although I prefer a more nutty profile, it worked well in terms of rounding out the whole meal. And not to mention that it was still peak summer heat at the time I had this. So everything worked out well. It is just a shame I do not remember the price of this. 


Front of the house. 



So if you are bored of rice and fish, this is a place that I strongly recommend. This fancy spot also has other backed treats and contrary to the name, it is more than just a sandwich stand. Although it is located closer to the residential side of the city, it is still easy to get to via the Nanakuma line. If you fancy a go, the address is as follows:

4 Chome-7-11 Yakuin, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka, 810-0022


 

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings