Coffee @ Kohi Sya No Da, Daimyo, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka

 





Probably one of the more fancy places to get a cup of joe, this classic kissaten outlet may look like something from a Great Gatsby movie set. However, do not let the looks fool you, this is a coffee spot worth reckoning. 



Men at work



I was initially overwhelmed by the look and the history of Kissaten No Da (珈琲舎のだ). It has an upper-crust vibe to it. However, I was looking for a new cafe to hang out and have a good cuppa java. Sure, the regular chains do the job well and Starbucks is everywhere. But chains can only go so far. Looking for a new shift in environment, I went to Kissaten No Da with a friend on a rainy Saturday afternoon. 



Black beauty



The ambiance was really top-notch. It has a classical charm, with an aura of sophistication. With siphons of coffee bubbling away and the sound of beans grinding in the background, this was an immersive experience. I think we all heard the saying to not judge a book by its cover. However, the menu here really reflects the exterior.   Most of the coffee is close to the 1000 yen mark. And after some brainstorming, I opted for the Sakura blend that stood at 850. Probably the most steep I have spent on a cup of coffee since I started living in Japan. Oh my!



What a close up. 


Despite that steep price, I really enjoyed what I had. The name was pretty apt, as there were some floral tones to it without being too acidic. The whole cup was smooth and easy to take down. There was a woody aftertone in the end, which I like.  In terms of accouterments, you have sugar and creamer. This place, being a fancy establishment, does not just give you regular cream. 



Even the condiments are fancy!


Instead, you are given freshly whipped cream which is chilled on top of a small cup of ice. So midway through my cup, I added a tablespoon of the cream. I am not sure if the cream being whipped made it different compared to regular cream. It was still pretty good though, and I really enjoyed it. To be fair, the base black coffee is already good. So the only way you can go is up unless you dilute the whole thing. 



Front of the house. Till we meet again!


In the end, I think this is a place worth visiting. And there are a variety of desserts to try. I might get the pudding the next time I come here. Sure it costs more than the regular cup I get from 7-11, which is actually really good. Having said that, if you like coffee or vintage-style establishments, this is worth the visit. And if this has caught your attention, then the address is as follows:


 2 Chome-10-1 Daimyo, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka, 810-0041





Comments

Weekly Top Rankings