Breakfast @ Poeji Kissaten, Hakata Ekimae, Fukuoka

I always find it nice that despite living in Fukuoka for almost 2 years now, I can still find little surprises along the way. So during a morning sojourn before work, I found an old fashion coffee shop that gave me the right pick me up to start the day. 





Poeji Kissaten (ポエジー珈琲館) is a charming little cafe that is based slightly beyond the main Hakata station, where most of the office blocks are located. And like most Japanese style cafes, they have morning breakfast sets. Since I had yet to have breakfast, seems like a good call to me. Standing at 550 yen sweetened the deal even more. I opted for the club sandwich set. 



What is that over the yonder?





The decor was cute and inviting, with a lot of woodwork decorating the premises. Like most cafes like this, it has the atmosphere of the bygone Showa era. There is some Western influence but has a predominantly Japanese flavour. And not long after admiring the interior, I noticed a very important prop, which was a coffee drip station.  



Oh wow, first time seeing drip canisters of this size.




Located next to the window are giant glass canisters loaded with grounded coffee beans, where water has been filled already. Slowly and steadily fresh drops of coffee come out from the bottom end and into anticipating coffee pots. That stoked my anticipation for my morning coffee a lot. 



Breakfast is here. 




The coffee itself was pretty good. It was smooth and earthy, which is the way I like it. it also has some soft yet obvious smoky undertones to it. As mentioned before in past articles, I am not a fan of fruity and acidic coffees. So this flavour profile really was on the money for me. 




Meet Joe black!




It was pretty intense in terms of the caffeine and I still felt quite buzzed after lunch. However, maybe because it was made via a drip, the flavour was not too strong or jarring. Absolute perfection. But what about the club sandwich?



Simple, but does the job well. 




The sandwich itself was kinda modest but still very good. It was loaded with cheese, egg, and ham, and was lightly toasted. Probably not the type of club sandwich you might see in an American diner, but it does the job. And was quite satisfying. Rounding off this breakfast was a side of salad and corn, accompanied by an orange wedge. Personally, I felt the orange was a bit out of place. But that is just a minor gripe. 



Another angle of the premises.




Simple yet satisfying, this breakfast pitstop was what I needed to keep roaring along during the workday. And did I mention how good the coffee is? So if you are in the area and you would like some classic yoshoku style breakfast or just a good cup of java, then Poeji's address is as follows:


〒812-0011 Fukuoka, Hakata Ward, Hakata Ekimae, 3 Chome−12−14 



Front of the house. 


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings