Nasi Kandar @ Zero Two Nasi Kandar, Chiyoda, Tokyo

 



This is sort of a homecoming of sorts. As it has been a long time since I have returned home, why not have a plate of home come to me? And I was really looking forward to this for a really long time. 



True to source material!


Zero Two Nasi Kandar, or rather Zero Two for short, is well, a nasi kandar restaurant. For those not familiar with this, it is essentially a Malay and Indian fusion rice and curry spot. A common staple for lunch back home as I was working, it is easy to find a good nasi kandar establishment anywhere in major cities. Even sleepy towns and small villages may have one or two outlets. But now in Japan, this is much less prevalent. Well, until today that is. 



Decisions...decisions...


When Zero Two hit the news, at least 7 different friends from various social circles messaged me about this place. And as I was planning to drop into Tokyo for my passport, I swooped in on this chance. Oh the irony. The first impression was already very authentic. All green decor and metal chairs and tables! Now, this is serious worshipping of the source material. 



My final plate. Note the 100 PLUS on the side



How about the rice and curry itself? It was as authentic as it gets. When it comes to ordering, you will first have to be at the counter and pick from an array of dishes and at the end, the cashier will tally everything based on your combination. When it comes to rice, you can choose either biryani or plain rice. I opted for the plain as it will allow the sauces to be more pronounced as the flavours of the biryani may clash. 



Another angle of this gorgeous plate. 



In terms of the curries, you can choose up to 2 from a vast array. It comes with a side of prawns too. In terms of vegetable sides, you get to choose 3, which exclude okra and bean sprouts. I picked the beef curry and the squid curry as they are usually the most expensive back home. As this is under a flat price, why not gear the system to my advantage? I was able to get grilled chicken with a side of lamb cutlet as my sides for protein, but more because they ran out of chicken. And to top it all off, it comes with a boiled egg. After selecting my wares, and a bottle of 100 PLUS my total bill stood at a hefty 1700 yen. Very hefty indeed! It should be noted that my 100 PLUS was for 250 yen. Probably the most expensive 100 PLUS for me to date. 



What a mess! A glorious mess


After my first bite, it really tasted just like home. It was as though I was teleported back to the mamak right behind the office at one point. All the spices were on point, with strong hits of cardamom, aniseed, and mustard seeds to name a few. The curries were a mix of spicy, sweet, savoury and a tinge of bitterness, probably due to some leftover clove pieces. For the initiated, yes, this is intentional. 



So tender


The chicken itself was very soft and juicy. It was well seasoned and grilled to perfection. The lamb that was the impromptu tag team partner was also really good. It gave a contrast of texture and flavour in terms of the meat proteins. And I think everyone knows by now I really like contrasts. The mashed potatoes that I choose as one of the side dishes were done superbly. The turmeric that seasoned it was very strong and tainted the whole plate yellow. There are so many elements here it is just too difficult to explain every one. 



Like a setting sun. 



The only thing that was not truly authentic is the egg, where the yolk is still runny. This is definitely a Japanese style of egg preparation. But I do not mind it at all. In fact, I think it gave the whole plate more personality. Despite the price, I think this was absolutely worth it. 



Me caught in the act! Thanks to my friend Risa for this picture. 


Due to the current travel restrictions, it is kind of obvious that there are not many Malaysians in the country. As such, it was a pleasant surprise to the staff that I paid a visit. Despite being operated by local Japanese, a good chunk of the can speak basic Malay. And as I was there with friends, it was also a good opportunity to share and explain my home country's food culture. Be that as it may, this is definitely a place I did enjoy a lot and an establishment worth recommending. So if by any chance you are craving a good curry, Zero Two's address is as follows:


〒100-0004 Tokyo, Chiyoda City, Ōtemachi, 1 Chome−9, フィナンシャルシティ グランキューブ




Comments

  1. travelling throough different countries and eating there and putting it on social media is a different kind of vibe and if you want to download any kind of video from twitter then click here Twittersave

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Weekly Top Rankings