Hambagu Curry @ Berkeley, Kawabata Shopping Arcade, Fukuoka

 



I like curry. And I like burgers. So what happens when the two get together? Magic! I was craving some big-time curry during a recent weekend. Not bothered about making one at home, I decided to use the good old internet. And reviews seem to point me to Berkeley, which is located in the always reliable Kawabata shopping street. 



Hello and welcome!



Berkeley (バークレー ) is a simple diner-style curry place with a simple menu but a lot to offer. It is tucked in a small alleyway between buildings. But here will be signs outside which will point you to the right place. 



The menu, being held by an unfortunately crooked stand


The menu is fairly modest, whereby they focus on just Japanese-style curry and a few toppings. Seems like standard fare. However, unlike more curry chains a lot of these toppings are made with fresh ingredients and from scratch. This gives it a fresh and home-style taste which probably is the reason why they are so well received.  They have the usual pork cutlet, fried shrimp, and veggie stir fry as options to enjoy. However, if you are really hungry, you should give their popular hambagu patty a go instead. And since I like burgers, why not combine two of my favourite things together?



Looking like a small mountain. 



And soon enough, a plate of piping hot goodness appeared in front of me. The whole plate was glistening while the aroma of freshly cooked spices start to spike the air. The curry is much darker than in most Japanese-style curry places. The patty stacked on top with a bed of rice, covered in curry gravy was indeed a sight to behold. 



So juicy!


Even before I took the first bite, I felt like I struck gold. When I made my way into the patty, meat juices just start flowing out from the crevices of the mince. Gushing out like a river, you can see this patty was well made and a lot of love was put into it. The mince had a great bite, and there are bits of carrots and onions in it too. And this was just by looking at it! It is not often I felt I can taste something with my eyes. So this is one of those not so often moments. 



With a bit of everything. What a blast!


And once I had that in my mouth, I can see why this is their star-maker. It tasted exactly as how I imagined it to be. Juicy, chewy, and lots of flavour. The curry added even more depth to the overall experience. the gravy was thick, deep, and very rich. 



Gone.



Every bite had a strong hint of garam masala, and probably soft undertones of cloves. I do suspect a bit of cinnamon somewhere There are also chunks of meat, which I assume will be either beef or pork. It was hard to identify as the curry has made everything look the same. It may be a bit spicy for the local populace, but getting a tame curry is like getting decaf for me. It may do the job, but it just hits different. 



Another view of the entrance. 



I have started coming to this shopping street very often since I moved into Fukuoka city proper. It is a good place to get some sundries and a good meal and slug. It is honestly becoming one of my favourite spots and there are so many places to recommend for a good night out or to fill the gullet. And Berkeley is now part of that expanding list. It is simple yet great and it was fairly well priced too. The burger curry was the most expensive option being 930 yen. An easy recommendation. So if you would like to have a go, the address is as follows:


〒812-0026 Fukuoka, Hakata Ward, Kamikawabatamachi, 11−8 川端中央ビル1階

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings