Okonomiyaki @ Okonomiyaki Oishii, Kusagae, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka.

 



Good and honest eats is what I live for, and this simple but spectacular establishment is a place that I have been doing a few repeat visits already. It has been a while since I have written about an okonomiyaki shop, save for my previous trip to Okonomimura in Hiroshima (click here). It was a different experience though. I enjoy the Hiroshima multi-layer pancakes, but the Kansai style one is the one that has a special place in my heart. And my stomach. 



Trying out the counter top angle shot. What do you think?


Seeing that it can be pretty dicey to go to Osaka at this current situation, it was great to find such a shop in another suburb of Fukuoka. 10 minutes away from Ohori Park lies Okonomiyaki Oishii. It is a small kitchen with just one counter that can fit to a maximum of 8 people. The place was quaint but very inviting. 



Le menu, do not worry you can ask for the English one if you cannot read Japanese



Being an okonomiyaki place, it is just an obvious choice to get that as the meal of the day. But as okonomiyaki translates to "as you like it", there are a bevy of filling that you can get with it. You can go with the plain with veggies and egg, or have it with cheese, pork, squid, prawns or all of them combined. I got myself the "special" which consists of prawns, squid and pork, which stood for a modest 1100 yen. Of course, the price will depend on the fillings you get. The one-woman-army that was behind the stove was incredible. Friendly and hospitable, she was able to still cook great meals while entertaining customers. It was a great local find, where seem that a majority of customers are loyal followers of the shop. This vibe made me at ease, knowing that my food would be in good hands. 


Dinner is served!


And good it was. Every corner was crispy and had great texture. The batter was firm yet soft at the same time, if that makes sense. The serving was remarkably generous. Prawns were just falling off every time I used my chopsticks. The pork was so well seared, it felt like I was having some grilled bacon. And the bouncy squid gave it extra texture. 


Witness the thickness



To finish it off, a good swab of sweet and sour sauce, with a side or mayonnaise. This according to some of my friends who came with me on a second visit, was "strong" in flavour. Indeed it was. It has so many things going on, but yet all come together in harmony. 



This was from someone's take out box. I did order a plate for my own on a separate visit. 



The shop also serves up yakisoba (aka fried noodles) too. It is somewhat different with Chinese style fried noodles, where here, the chef uses a sauce similar to the pancakes. As such, it has a slightly zesty and fruity after tone. Not the one I am particularly used too. But still, I enjoyed it thoroughly. One serving stands for 800 yen. Incredibly filling and worth every penny. 


Looks like something from a movie. 


Okonomiyaki Oishii is a shop that keeps up to its name sake, the food was really delicious. And the homely and fun atmosphere makes this a special hidden gem for me. It takes a bit of effort to get there. Despite that, it is so worth the hassle. Do take note that you will smell like what you have eaten though. You have been warned. If you would like to try what they have in store, then the address is as below. Who knows? You may be able to find me during your next visit, chomping down on some good food. 


1 Chome-9-12 Kusagae, Chuo Ward, Fukuoka, 810-0045





Comments

Weekly Top Rankings