CAN YOU SURVIVE QUARANTINE WITH JUST FAMILY MART ? PART 3

 




Here we are and back again, to Family Mart. One week has passed since quarantine began and my gourmet sojourns were somehow pretty good. I was surprised myself thus far on the quality of the food that Family Mart has provided. If you have not checked out the earlier posts, I recommend that you do, to give you some clearer context on how things have lead to this point ( click here for part 1 and here for part 2). Now on with the show shall we? 


Day 8.

Yum!


We have passed the one week mark! And to celebrate, why not start with the first meal of the day? For breakfast for this day I got myself a custard danish of sorts. It was flaky on the outside and creamy on the inside. A sugary start to the day. For the morning caffeine fix, I got myself a bottle of Georgia Black. [Total Damage: 250 yen]


The soup was a life saver. 


Lunch came soon after and pasta made an appearance once more. This was much more basic compared to the other pasta dishes that I had prior. Well, its basically butter noodles with salmon from a can. Still, it does fill up the gullet well. Luckily I got myself a sausage and vegetable soup to go with it. That was quite satisfying.  [Total Damage : 728 yen]


Incredibly indulgent


As lunch was quite bland, I went to the opposite scale of the spectrum by getting myself a cheese keema curry. This was explosive in terms of flavour but spice wise, it was pretty mild. It was weak for Malaysian standards, but then again, we are in Japan right. Anyway, who puts cheese on top of curry? It worked well so I cannot really complain. The again, some people put cheese on kimchi so who am I to judge? [ Total Damage : 498 yen]


Day 9. 


East meets west

Breakfast for this one was a real styles clash. On one hand I had the classic Japanese confectionary in dorayaki and on another part, I had a bacon roll. Sweet and salty notes galore that was for sure. It was thoroughly enjoyable in fact. The dorayaki should get a special mention as it tasted like its from the tea section from a high end department store. [Total Damage : 246 yen] 


Colourful. 


Lunch was something I was looking forward to as I had not had something this colourful for so long, being a spicy pork soba bowl. The whole bowl was brimming with colour and vibrancy. The actual thing was also as tasty as it looks. The spicy sauce that was sitting at the bottom, which was marinating the noodles was superb. This was actually kind of spicy, which I like. Shredded pickled cabbage and fresh spring onions gave this dish some vibrancy. It was filling and refreshing at the same time. Would eat again. [Total Damage:  540 yen]


Looks like a restaurant quality bowl, doesn't it? 



Dinner was noodles again, but it was udon this time. Topped with fried chicken, this was also another satisfyingly awesome meal. The chicken pieces were fried in a tempura batter, making it very similar to nuggets. The clean tasting soup hit the right notes in negating the fried bits. The noodles were succulent and buoyant. No complaints again. [Total Damage: 498 yen] 


Day 10


Another styles clash. 



Sweet and salty was the theme again for this breakfast. And I picked myself another block of Calorie mate, but the original flavour this time. For the salty part, it was a mentaiko bun. I was actually impressed that they even have this. Mentaiko is pretty expensive. [Total Damage: 258 yen]


This was actually pretty good.

Lunch was also equally impressive, with salty and sweet clashing once more. Along with a prawn tempura bento, was a set of siew mai and sweet and sour meatballs. Well, I did not expect Family Mart to have dim sum, but here we are. The bento was spot on and the siew mais were great. They are a bit different compared to Cantonese style siew mai as they were stuffed with cabbage instead of pure meat mince. The meatballs had a similar taste to sweet and sour chicken. It was very zesty, a little too sour to be honest. But it does cut through the aftertaste of the dumplings. So as an overall package, it was pretty good. [Total Damage : 758 yen]

Sometimes I wonder why that artificial leaf is included. 


Dinner too had the same double combination, although sweetness now comes in the form of a dessert. Another bento made an appearance, but instead it was a makunoichi set instead, which means various side dishes set meal. And when they said various, there was a lot of variety. From grilled salmon, to poached vegetables and a slice of egg, it was a rainbow of flavours. Supported by my dessert of an orange jelly, this was pretty spectacular.  [Total Damage : 635 yen]


Saturday morning starting strong. 


Although the food from the convenience store has been good, I am really looking forward in going out from the same place for my meals. Leaving quarantine cannot come close enough. Still, Japanese TV is not that bad though. So tune in for the final instalment of my quarantine food adventure by clicking here.



Comments

Weekly Top Rankings