Can you survive quarantine with just Family Mart ? Part 2


 



With a question so epic that it would need more than one post, lets proceed with part 2 shall we? Before hand, please read part 1 by clicking here if you haven't already. 


So many drink choices...



Day 4


Substantial. 



For breakfast  I got myself some ham rolls and pancake. A pack of instant coffee came along as well, as the ones that I got from room service has depleted. The ham rolls were just as good as all the bread items I had previously. One special mention was the pancake. Like, how does it stay so fluffy? In a plastic bag? Technology at its finest. [Total Damage : 220 yen. Note I did not include the coffee inside as its a 7 pack and I will be having it for a few days]


Munch munch...


Lunch was rather interesting too, as I smothered myself with a bacon cheese burger with egg. A tuna salad came along so I think that will help balance things out. And for drinks, I had a bottle of lemon tea. The burger was surprisingly good. The patty was tender, cheese was melt in your mouth and everything went down just way to easily. I think you have figured out by now that I have been using "surprising" too many times already. [Total Damage: 708 yen]


Sigh, I actually had high hopes. 



Dinner was a bit of a let down, and probably one of the lower points of this quarantine food escapade. I got myself a salmon sushi set and a mochi okonomiyaki. The sushi was somewhat stale and the rice was too hard. Fish was fresh enough, but it did not taste really good. The pancake had too much sauce on it and it just keeps on falling apart. A real shame really. Oh well, I will have to make up for it when I go out for the real deal. [Total Damage: 848 yen]


Day 5


Old glory


The legendary egg sandwich finally made its appearance! It was just as great as I imagined it would be. Soft, savoury, sweet, and just plain awesome. How can one simple thing taste so good? It may be crack. But yeah, I can get high on this. Which is the reason why I vow not to repeat any items, for it will be too easy for me to have a egg sandwich overdose. [Total Damage:198 yen] 


Oh baby!


Lunch was also very pleasing. The mentaiko spaghetti made an appearance, and it was such a no brainer. As a companion, pumpkin soup stood by its side. The pasta dish was what I expected from a mentaiko based dish. It was sweet and spicy, with a little bit of fishy aftertaste. The sleeper hit was the pumpkin soup. It tasted like it was from a restaurant and was utter top quality. Thoroughly enjoyable.[Total Damage: 748 yen]


Double meat surprise. 



Dinner was pretty substantial too. I had a beef bowl, with a side of spicy fried chicken and egg drop soup. The beef was what you get from Yoshinoya. Slightly inferior in quality, but then again its Family Mart right? The chicken was straight up awesome. Imagine spicy popcorn chicken from KFC and you get the idea. The soup somehow worked! It was dried up egg shards which reconstituted once you add in hot water. This meal overall was incredibly warming. [Total Damage: 887 yen] 


Day 6

Morning lethal combo. 


Another legend came into the scene for breakfast for this day in the form of Calorie Mate. A staple for people on the go and is said to have almost all the nutrients you need from a balanced meal, I thought of giving it a go. It tasted like short bread and I got the orange flavour, despite the fact that the packaging was green and yellow. A hot dog came along as its tag team. With chilli sauce and mustard, this was a prickly companion and was really good [Total Damage: 246 yen] 


You have no idea how good this is...



Lunch for this day was one of the more memorable ones, as I finally had oden and fried rice. The oden was superb, and had all the usual suspects like egg and chikuwa fish cake. The broth was hearty and deep. The rice was great too. Loaded with braised pork, it is a bit different than the Chinese style I am used to. I am not complaining though as it was packed with flavour. Very filling indeed [Total Damage: 718 yen] 


Spicy a cometh



Dinner was also a bit synchronized to chuka ryouri, which means Japanese style Chinese cooking. I had mapo tofu with rice and a side of grilled sausages. Drinks wise, I had a One Day vegetable and fruit juice mix. The tofu was kinda spicy for Japanese standards, but it was just right for me. Having a bit of a Szechuan mala profile was a pleasant surprise, and the tofu was soft to the touch. The sausages were the type you may find from a Taiwanese cafe and it worked well with the gravy of the tofu dish. The juice was a nice complement as it cut out some of the heat of the overall meal. [Total Damage: 836 yen] 


Day 7 


Everything is just better with coffee. 


Breakfast was another bread item again, and this time it was a big cheese bun that costs a modest 118 yen. Cheap, filling and taste great, it was not too bad to be honest. One as eventful as the other meals before but was alright. [Total Damage: 118 yen] 

You can actually request for your sandwiches to be heated. How cool is that?



Sandwiches made an appearance for lunch this time. Wanting to take a detour off Asian dishes, this was a nice change of pace. And I got myself their special selection. Along with it was a vegetable and chicken soup. Simple fare but it was what I needed and I would not mind returning to either one for a light lunch to be honest. [Total Damage: 655 yen]


Whoops!


However, the hunger pangs have taken the better of me. The sandwiches and soup were not enough, so I had a pack of vanilla sandwich biscuits with a can of Tully's coffee. I remembered being lethargic at this time, and the caffeine and sugar rush gave me the energy power on further. The biscuits were really good though, with a filling similar to Oreo's [Total Damage: 269 yen]



Winner winner chicken dinner?



As I had some eating reprieve earlier before my dinner, my final meal was not as elaborate as past meals. It was a simple fried chicken rice set with a side of soup. Nothing fancy but still good. I really like the batter that this was cooked in as it had a lot of flavour, although slightly on the salty side. The rice was able to cut that through though. [Total Damage: 568 yen] 


Hmm... nothing interesting at the rack, probably another time. 



It was mid way through the quarantine that I was considering giving up the self imposed challenge of not repeating items, especially when it came the dinner for Day 7. Do not get me wrong the chicken was superb, but the selections for that day was rather limited. And I was craving for that fried rice again. Well, How did I fare in the end? Tune in to part 3 by clicking here to find out soon enough! 


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings