Herring Soba Noodles @ Ikkyatei, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto




I think it is kind of a universal rule that if an old grandma is in charge of food, your meal is going to be very good. And once again, going to a quaint but homely soba shop in a slightly hidden part of town proved by theory yet again. 

The front part of the shop.


Ikkyatei is a udon and soba restaurant located in a small street in the Sakyo district of the ancient city of Kyoto. I did not intend to have lunch here, but as it was close to many of the beautiful shrines of Kyoto, why not have lunch along the way. And to me that is the fun part of travelling, exploring parts of a city and then be just amazed as to what it has too offer. 

The quaint dining area. 


The front of the house was manned by three old aunties and once I entered, already I can feel like I just entered some one's home. The place was quaint, but cozy. And since I was alone, I decided to sit at the counter, which is usually proper etiquette in small food establishments like this. Tables are usually meant for parties with at least 3 people. So a travel tip worth noting. 

Lunch is served. 


After glancing through the menu, I decided to have the "nishinsoba", or herring soba noodles. The food came rather quick and I was taken aback as to how simple but tasty it was. The bowl was clean and glossy, with the soup just reflecting back light, giving it a luminescent glow. The fish that came with it looked like it was glazed with crystal as it bounces back light, just like the soup that it was bathed in. It was quite pretty. 


Noodles never fail to impress me. 

And the food tasted as good as it looked. The noodles were nutty and springy. It was made out of buckwheat after all. The soup was savoury and sweet at the same time, a typical Japanese dashi. 


Just way too good. 


The one that really stood out was the herring. It had a very deep and intense meat-like flavour. So much so, it tasted like maple glazed bacon or sweet beef jerky. I am not kidding! My taste receptors got quite confused as the fish does flake apart, like any other fish dish. And yet, this felt like a new yet familiar experience at the same time. Just phenomenal. And in a matter of moments, the entire bowl just went empty.  It was seriously delicious. It was a bit pricey, as it stood for ¥1100. But for fish that good, I would not mind paying that much. I think that herring would have gone well with some rice. 

Front of the house. 


This was somewhat of a secret find, but it is an establishment that I strongly recommend. They do serve other noodle dishes and some rice set meals. So if you are not a noodle fan, rest assured that you will be taken cared of. Fancy a go? The address is as follows:

69, Nanzenji Kusagawacho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8437

Comments

Weekly Top Rankings