Goma saba @ Akira sui san, Kawabata Shopping Arcade, Fukuoka

 




I am a guy known for probably many things, but being a fishmonger is not one of then.For those who are not in the know, I have the kanji 明 in my Chinese name, which essentially reads as "Akira" in Japanese. In fact, I have been known by that name so much, even non-Japanese friends call me that. And it was a pleasant surprise to see a shop with that name. Considering that this my 450th post, why not celebrate with something with my name on it?



More calm than your local fishmonger



Akira Sui San is a fishmonger and seafood distributor that supplies a good portion of seafood from the Kyushu region. With over 100 years of history, it has been supplying seafood to some of the best establishments out there. However, having their own eatery is not something they have. Which lead me to this place, which is tucked in the Kawabata Shotengai shopping street.



Epic.



Honestly, I only knew about it because a few friends told me and said the seafood wasa pretty cheap. Cheap, it really was. This place works more like a diner than an actual restaurant, with prepacked seafood dishes at the outside and you can eat at the dining room inside. However, one item caught my eye which is the goma saba bowl. 



A beautiful close up



A staple favourite in Fukuoka, goma saba, or mackerel in sesame, is a local specialty and is usually eaten with rice or as a beer snack. Yes, it goes great with booze. But since its a Saturday mid afternoon, it was too early to be slushed. Still, it was a good time. The whole thing was fairly basic, but that was good. 



Simple but decadent. 



The fish was very fresh. The flesh was supple and sweet, with a hint of saltiness. Each bite reminds me of the ocean. The sesame sauce that covered each piece gave a nutty and sweet aroma which I really enjoy. The seaweed flakes that came alongside gave a slight variety in texture. However, if you like your eating experience to be more punchy, then add wasabi. 



A sleeper hit. 



The overall bowl was pretty impressive despite being so minimal in terms of ingredients. Standing at just 800 yen, this was a steal. It should be noted that it came with a bowl of hot sup which helps round out the meal. As it was raining that day, this was a serious godsend. 



Front of the house



I did not ask the staff about my name although I was tempted to do so on a few occasions. Be that as it may, this place was pretty tasty  and I am looking forward to trying more of what they have to offer. So if you are a fan of seafood or somehow you are at this side of town, this is a place that you seriously need to visit. It should be noted that as they are a seafood supplier after all, they will close once all their items are sold. So if you fancy a go, then the address is as follows:

6-133 Kamikawabatamachi, Hakata Ward, Fukuoka, 812-0026



I definitely do not look like him


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings