Tonkatsu @ Tonkatsu Taishou, Hakata , Fukuoka

 




Deep fried and delicious, a chunky and golden piece of pork always hits the spot. It is so simple, but can be easy to mess up as well. However, when done right, it is just satisfaction from another level. And I found the right spot that can make this happen.



Look what we have here?



Tonkatsu Taishou (とんかつ大将), is a tonkatsu diner located not too far from the main city center of Hakata. However, it is somewhat deep in the residential areas. As such, it is not an obvious find compared to the other more famous eateries around the place. In fact, I only found this place when I decided to do an extended jog after work. If I did not make that detour, I would have probably missed it.  As my first trip was literally in the middle of a workout, I got myself a heavy meal in the form of dinner set A. 



Glorious!


In addition to the classic pork cutlet, it came with a big fat fried prawn and a giant piece of squid. Imagine surf and turf but deep fried and you get the idea. Standing at just 1000 yen, this was an absolute steal. And a major steal it was. Everything was fried to perfection. The crust for all the golden items were just right and not too oily. I think there might be seasoning in the breading as it was quite flavourful. 




Here comes the close up



The pork itself was quite fresh and had a great bite. It was very firm but still had some tenderness behind it. It is definitely not an expensive cut, but still, it was pretty good. The prawn was also pretty fresh and combining it with the tartar sauce that accompanied the plate gave it an extra edge. Salty, sweet and slightly creamy, that was such a combination. The squid was not too bad, although it was not as fresh as its companions. Also, maybe because I was already pretty full at this point, I found it to be a bit excessive. Still, it was not bad and I was able to chomp it down rather easily. Accompanied with rice, cabbage and miso soup, this was a really filling meal. 




Holy cow, I mean, pig!



Speaking of excessive, my second visit was much more decadent as it came in the form of a cheese baked tonkatsu. A thick layer of melted mozzarella cheese was coating the already indulgent fried pork, which made this a real heart stopper. This was really tasty and it is as delicious as it is sinful. However, as the cheese is pretty heavy, I was kinda satiated when I was just half way there. Costing 1100 yen, this was also another bargain which seems to be quite insane, considering the quality of the food. Although I had an enjoyable time taking it down, this cheesy wonder would probably be a yearly selection than something that I will eat often. 



Another angle of the front of the house. 



Tonkatsu Taishou is definitely one of the hidden gems that deserves a good shoutout. It may take some effort to come here, but the effort is worth the reward. Despite being in the suburbs this is worth that detour. So if you fancy a go and you are one of those diners who like to go off the beaten track, this is the place to be. The address is as follows:


3 Chome-15 Hakataeki minami, Hakata Ward, Fukuoka, 812-0016


Comments

Weekly Top Rankings