Breakfast @ Coffee Shop Galant, Ueno, Taito, Tokyo

 



In a previous work trip, I ended up once again in the streets of Ueno. Considering how often I used this place as a home base for my trips to Tokyo, it is slowly becoming my second home outside Fukuoka. Then again, what is not to love? The place is linked to all the main train lines and the Skyliner to Narita, hotels are mostly affordable, and the restaurant and street food scene is top tier. 



Blast from the past!



Speaking of eating out, I have decided to pop into a cafe for a proper morning set breakfasts. Usually I would just pop into a Family Mart and get a bun and coffee and I am pretty much sorted. However, I think it is time for a special treat just this once. And that is how I ended up in Galant. As soon you enter into the premises, you feel as though you have just been time warped into the Showa era. The entire place reminds me of an ancient place where time has gone by. Yellowish lights, a wooden interior and preppy waiting staff, it has a retro charm to it. To be fair, it has been in operation for 46 years.  I was placed near a window and got myself a sandwich set that stood at a modest 1000 yen. 



Morning kick



That retro look and feel also translates into the food they serve. The coffee that I got beforehand was served in a very retro porcelain cup which looked like it came from a muzeum. The coffee itself was pretty good too. It was deep and earthy with a smooth mouthfeel. It was not cloying at all or had an acidic taste to it, which I really liked. 


The whole ensemble


Soon after my sandwich arrived. Accompanied with a side of salad and yogurt, it was pretty generous. The eggs and cucumbers really hit the spot for a good breakfast. And the yogurt was a nice palate cleanser.  That being said, taste itself was pretty standard. I mean you cannot really reinvent egg and cucumbers right? Still, this was a nice way to start off the morning. Simple pleasures like an egg sandwich sometimes is all I need. 



Check out this epic entrance!



I have to admit that other than the coffee, everything else was kinda generic. However, what makes this place special is the ambience. It really feels like you are in a retro movie set with preppy waiting staff and music from days gone by playing in the background. And speaking of that, please note that this cafe allows smoking. So for some who would prefer a non-smoking location, there are still great places around Ueno. So if you are in the mood for a filling breakfast with a hint of nostalgia, Galant would sort you out nicely. The address is as follows: 

6 Chome-14-4 Ueno, Taito City, Tokyo 110-0005



If you find this display of plastic food, then you are at the right place!
Maybe I should come during lunch one day. 




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings