Food Challenge : Beef Organ Sashimi Challenge [Post 350]

 




Wow, we have hit another milestone everyone! 350 and counting! And to commemorate this, why not try something a little bit off the beaten track? We all know that Japan is well known for seafood sashimi. But have you heard of beef organ sashimi? Now that is something else entirely.



This actually looks good!


On a previous visit to Tokyo, I was fortunate enough to find an izakaya that serves such a delicacy. Gyuu no Saijou (牛の最上) was such a place and it is also located in the boozy paradise of Yuraku-Yokocho. Initially, my friend Yumu and I ordered the standard fare of braised beef and beer. However, the existence of such an unusual dish is just too hard to ignore. And for a modest 1999 yen, why not? Which has led to this very impromptu food challenge. 



Looks like tuna? Who am I kidding, it clearly doesn't


Of course, there are various concerns about eating raw beef organs. Other than the biohazard that it is, they can be particularly slimy and unusual to the palate. But it was too late. In the end, a serving of liver and 2 types of tripe were put before us. Fortunately, there was a bevy of sauces which make the whole affair more palatable. And I took the liver first as it seems the closest to the traditional sashimi that we are used to.


Here we go!



After a swig of sauce, I put it straight into the gullet. It was very unusual, as I have never eaten raw beef liver before. It was particularly slimy and had a pungent aftertaste. It has a metallic and gamey profile which can be off-putting to some. It also becomes kind of granular at the very end, making for an unusual textural experience. I am all about texture contrasts. But this is one time that I did not enjoy it. 



Seriously re-considering my life choices. 


Lucky the sauce that came with it was sort of sweet and spicy. So it did temper the smell a bit. After a few bites and swallowing it, I actually acquired a taste for it. However, this is not something I will order under my own volition again. The next was a section of tripe that I have no idea the name of. It was ultra chewy and had little flavour. Luckily we can rely on the sauces that were provided. This was not pleasant at all. It felt like rubber and chewing gum being bitten on at the same time. After tiring my jaw out, I just swallowed it whole, which was also not a pretty good idea. I do not particularly hate it, but I definitely won't order this again on my own. 



Not rubber, but close. 


However, the fun bits were the faces that we pulled when we were chewing this down. It was not particularly fun. But it made for an interesting and funny night. And that is what nightlife is about right? Which having a good time. And luckily, there are other dishes that were in-store that can help me take this sashimi challenge down. Don't mind me chomping down a big bowl of salad and a swig of beer!



Cleansing nectar. 



Still, this was incredibly fun and Gyuu no Saijou does have other great beef dishes around. From beef stews, various grilled dishes, and steaks, there is more than just the bizarre organs we have just had. So if you would like to try this challenge yourself or the other dishes, head off to Yuraku-Yokocho and try it for yourself. The address is as follows:


2 Chome-1-1 Yurakucho, Chiyoda City, Tokyo 100-0006



One of the many colourful entrances. 







Comments

Weekly Top Rankings