Thai Dinner @ Gamlan Dee, Solaria Plaza, Tenjin, Fukuoka

 



Thai food is one of my favourite cuisines out there. Spicy, zesty, and a little bit of nuttiness, the combination of flavours is uniquely it's own. So when I found out that one of my favourite places, Gamlan Dee has another branch, it made choosing what to have for dinner a little bit easier. 



Welcome back?


This branch is a little hard to get to as it is tucked in the underground shopping streets of Tenjin, however I think the trouble its worth it. This place does feel a bit different compared to the previous place I visited the months prior. The decor had more of a street food feel to it, which is great homage to the source material. And as I am on my own this time, having a la carte entrées seems to be a good idea. 



Oh baby!



And that first choice was an easy one. It has been a while since I had tom yum, and that was the order for the day. The bowl was hot and red, loaded with prawns and had a bed of rice noodles soaking underneath. It was what a weary soul would need for the cold winter afternoon. And this weary soul really enjoyed it.



Getting my slurp on.


The soup was strong and authentic, with lots of kick and zing. The prawns were fresh to the touch, and everything just seems to fit in place. The noodles are flat rice noodles that worked really well. They are not the standard yellow noodles you probably get in ramen shops, as that will not work too well. 



Piping hot, and oh so tasty. 



Still peckish from that I ordered a serving of fish cake. That was seriously incredible. They were freshly made and came in hot when I ordered. They taste like the ocean, in a good way. The fish paste was smooth and yet grainy, giving off some bite. Chunks of prawns added more to the flavour and texture. And I really like textural differences. 


Cluck cluck


If you are into something less spicy, then chicken rice is the way to go. It was seriously well done and reminded me of the old Hainanese classic. Everything was spot on. Even the rice, which was cooked using jasmine rice, was fluffy and had great body. 



A well deserved close up


It was a bit salty for my taste but it was still good.  The chicken was poached nicely, although I would have liked them to be a bit more generous. Then again, such a dish is pretty rare over these parts. So I cannot really complain, to be honest. 


Comes with a side of soup, not too bad really. 



Be that as it may, my favourite Thai outlet has hit it out of the ballpark yet again. With the dishes ranging from the 700 to 1000 yen mark, I guess it is pretty fair. Still, I have enjoyed my visits to this place and probably will be enjoying them as well in the future! If you would like to read more about my previous visit to the original outlet, then click here. But if you would like to visit this branch right away, then the address is as below:


〒810-0001 Fukuoka, Chuo Ward, Tenjin, 2 Chome, 2-43-B2 Solaria Plaza


Another angle of the premises




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings