Pancakes & Coffee @ The Gundam Factory, Yokohama, Kanagawa

 



Although not mentioned in the blog a lot, I really like Gundam. Like I really liked it. I do make passing remarks about it, but as this is a food blog, I would not really make much sense to divert too much from the main topic. Then again since this is a food blog, why not write something about Gundam-inspired food? I was visiting some friends around the Kanagawa-Tokyo border a few weeks back. So I thought maybe just commit to the cause since I was already so close. And soon enough I was dead center in Yokohama waiting for the subway to the Gundam Factory.



What size!



The Gundam Factory houses a life-size metallic beast that moves. It was a real sight to behold and just captures the imagination of anyone who has seen it. The entrance to the place was pretty pricey, as the ticket stood at a spicy 1650 yen. However, they do provide you with a miniature Gundam kit upon entry. One of these is usually within the range of 600-1200 yen, so I guess it is somewhat justified. 



It moves!


But once you enter the premises, then you realise that the money pumped into this facility is more than just plastic robots. Unlike other life-sized robots like the Unicorn in Odaiba, the Freedom in Shanghai, and the Nu which will soon be opened to the public in Fukuoka (oh yes!), the RX-78F00 Gundam can actually move. The other Gundam robots are more like statues with a very limited range of motion, if at all. 


Le menu



So after standing for quite some time looking at the exhibits and the amazing lights and robotics show that was the moving Gundam, I thought it would be a good time for some coffee and light snacks. And within the facility is a Gundam Cafe. With news of various cafe outlets closing soon, to which some already have closed, I think I should take this opportunity to have a taster before it goes completely. 


Tablets have been provided by the counter at the yonder to make your order. 


There were proper meals here, but I was pretty full when I entered. Also, theme-based restaurants are not really known for outstanding food quality as my past experience at the Kamen Rider the Diner has taught me (click here if you would like to read about it). So I ended up with the safe option of pancakes and an americano. The pancakes stood for 550 yen while the coffee was for 400 yen.


My mid afternoon snack. 


In all honesty, this is somewhat of a fair price. The coffee was decent and hit the right tones. The flavour was crisp and deep. It was not too bitter and had a tinge of fruitiness without being too acidic. The timing of it was great as well, as the day was turning to night and the cold was starting to come in.



An unrivalled view


The pancake was unfortunately quite mediocre, but I did not expect much in any event. It was made with the Haro mascot imprints. So they are quite cute. And yes, it was just one pancake. A bit pricey if you asked me, but that is fan service pricing I guess. 





They were fluffy and had a great eggy taste. However, I felt like they were a bit mushy at some parts. I would not be surprised that the pancakes were pre-made and it was subsequently popped into a steamer for some heat. That was my impression of it. At least the cream and fresh berries gave it a bit more personality and thus making this sweet treat a bit more palatable. 



A view from the outer decks. 


Still, it was a great day by the bay. The robotic behemoth was indeed a sight to behold and the exhibits in the Factory itself were quite impressive. And the view of that iron giant with a sunset by the yonder is just captivating.  Do note that even though it is called the Gundam Factory, it is not the actual factory. That will be in Shizuoka. It is a real shame that this facility is only a temporary structure as it will be taken down in March 2022. 



The building where the other exhibits and the cafe are located.



But after obtaining various requests from fans all over the world who cannot visit Japan at this juncture, it seems like the Factory will be up till 2023. Let's hope the world would have normalised by then. If you are somehow interested in looking at the moving bipedal mammoth, I mean, how could you not, the address is as follows:

〒231-0023 Kanagawa, Yokohama, Naka Ward, Yamashitacho, 279番25 山下ふ頭内




Comments

Weekly Top Rankings